This stew turns out rich and creamy and it’s so very, very easy. I found this recipe in the book “From Amish and Mennonite Kitchens” by Phyllis Pellman Good and Rachel Thomas Pellman.
Servings: 8Cook Time: 3 hours in oven, all day in slow cooker
2 lb. beef cubes
2 cups carrots, sliced
2 cups potatoes, diced
2 medium onions, sliced
1 cup celery, chopped
1 1/2 cups green beans
2 tsp. quick cooking tapioca
1 Tbsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
1 cup water
1 Tbsp. brown sugar
1. Place raw beef cubes (do not brown) in a single layer in a 2 1/2 quart casserole or roast pan.
2. Add vegetables and/or any others you desire.
3. Sprinkle tapioca, salt, and pepper over top. Pour tomato sauce mixed with water over vegetables and seasonings.
4. Crumble brown sugar over all.
5. Cover tightly and do not peep! Bake at 325 degrees for 3 hours.
Variations: Stew may be made in a slow cooker.
Did you make this recipe? Share your photo here:
Make sure the page has finished loading before you upload a photo.
Max photo size is 512KB. The best size to upload is 500 x 375 pixels.
By uploading a photo, you attest that this photo belongs to you. If you are uploading a photo that does not belong to you, please provide documentation that you have permission to use the photo to FBRblog(at)yahoo.com or the photo will not be approved.