The trick to golden brown onion rings is making sure your baking sheet/sheets are HOT. You want to hear the ring sizzle when you place it on the hot baking sheet. The family doesn’t want deep fat fried since I have started making these.
Servings: 6-8 (depending on how hungry you are)Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 16 minutes
2 medium (or 1 large) sweet onions, sliced 1/2 inch thick
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup + 1 Tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups crushed potato chips(kettle-cooked chips, if available)
3 Tablespoons vegetable oil
Dipping Sauce (similar to Outback Bloomin’ Onion Sauce):
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 teaspoons ketchup
2 Tablespoons horseradish
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
Dash ground black pepper
Dash cayenne pepper
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
2. Combine 1/4 cup flour, salt, black pepper, and cayenne in a bowl.
3. In another bowl combine the buttermilk, egg, and additional flour, whisking until a smooth batter is formed.
4. In a third bowl, place the crushed potato chips.
5. Prepare the onion rings by first dipping a ring into the seasoned flour, then into the batter (let the excess batter drip off), and then coat with the crushed potato chips. As you finish the rings, place them on a large plate. Repeat with all the rings.
6. Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper. Drizzle the vegetable oil on the parchment-lined sheet and place in the oven for 8 minutes. Carefully remove the baking sheet from the oven and tilt to evenly coat with oil.
7. Working quickly, place your onion rings on the baking sheet and return to oven. Bake for 8 minutes, then flip onion rings and bake for an additional 6-8 minutes, or until golden brown.
8. While baking, prepare your dipping sauce!
DIPPING SAUCE instructions:
Combine all ingredients and refrigerate.
Did you make this recipe? Share your photo here:
Make sure the page has finished loading before you upload a photo.
Max photo size is 512KB. The best size to upload is 500 x 375 pixels.
By uploading a photo, you attest that this photo belongs to you. If you are uploading a photo that does not belong to you, please provide documentation that you have permission to use the photo to FBRblog(at)yahoo.com or the photo will not be approved.