A A A

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
What are you doing with your day?
January 4, 2015
1:57 pm
brookdale
Eastern Maine
Super Chicken
Members
Forum Posts: 563
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
2901sp_Permalink sp_Print

Today I am starting to sort through boxes and boxes of "stuff" from a big over-a-hundred-year-old family heirloom oak desk that I just passed down to my son. I couldn't believe that desk could hold so much! Papers and things from way back in the last century, and some from even before that when my Grandfather owned it. Nothing of any great value, though, yet anyway.

Why is it so hard to throw things away? It seems anything that is written on paper is important enough to save. At least to me. Oh well, now I have a winter project. Anyone need 45 pencils, unsharpened, but with "dead" erasers?! And about 100 ballpoint pens that no longer work?

Remember, if it rains on your picnic it's also raining on your garden!

January 19, 2015
8:27 am
Joelle
Superstar
Members
Forum Posts: 2579
2902sp_Permalink sp_Print

Today I am doing---as little as possible! It seems like I say that everyday and then get started on someting that lasts all day--not today!

I plan to sit with a stack of very old cookbooks and read them.

"Be kinder than necessary, everyone is fighting some sort of battle."

January 19, 2015
9:49 am
mamajhk
South Central Kansas
Super Chicken
Members
Forum Posts: 902
2903sp_Permalink sp_Print

Sounds like a good plan, Joell.  Unfortunately, today I won't have that opportunity.  Granddaughters will be here and I have some cleaning that has been put off for way to long.  Since they are forecasting temps here in the 60's I need to do bedding so that it can hang outside to dry.

January 19, 2015
6:49 pm
VictorianGirl
Schenectady, NY
Mighty Chicken
Members
Forum Posts: 176
2904sp_Permalink sp_Print

Started out doing laundry, cleaning house, cooking and then noticed the rear tire on the driver's side was almost flat.  Took it to the garage and was told the tire was fine but the seal on the rim was not.  In no time at all it was repaired and cost only $10.80!  Guess it was my lucky day.

January 21, 2015
6:45 pm
SimoneHayha
Banty
Chickens
Forum Posts: 5
2905sp_Permalink sp_Print

Laundry (five loads so far), daily housework, sketching out garden plans (I start the vegies/flowers for us and half a dozen other small growers) and tending the compost, dealing with the interruptions of the day (I've been trying to write this message for an hour or more...)...cleaning the wood stove corner, firewood, tending the wood stove...working on a room/closet reorganization project...getting dinner on, reorganizing the chest freezer...getting ready for a weekend my H and I will be going away for training...watering all the house plants...trying to get a bit of a leg up on weeding and noting what has to be dug out of various beds as soon as the soil is dry enough to allow that. 

A to-do list that never seems to end. You know how it is, you write up a to-do list, and after four hours you can check off only two things. A few days later, they're back on the list...and that list doesn't even include the usual stuff of day to day housekeeping!

Not to mention all the things that didn't make it to the list, like winter catalogs and sales mail and archery magazines and such to be sorted through, late winter pantry reorganization, volunteer commitments. And I still have to dry and fold bath and kitchen linens.

Then there's everything outside that I'm aching to get to...but we have to be patient with the weather. This is the hardest time of year. We have chives up, tulip noses, daylily noses, the lupines just starting to sprout. All I want is sunshine and good, hard, muscle-toning work in the sun with pruning tools and chainsaws. One of the wonderful things about gardening weather is that when it comes, you drop everything to tend to that. The house doesn't need as much tending since we're mostly outside, and when we cook it's mostly grilling. 

Given our weather, what I want more than anything is to make a pot of coffee and settle down for a couple hours with three knitting projects I have going. Alas, not today!

June 27, 2015
12:29 pm
Joelle
Superstar
Members
2906sp_Permalink sp_Print

happy-flower

Going outside as soon as the bread is done, and plant some sweet potatoes, not it a garden, but in flower pots, I started them in the house in water, thay have developed roots and started to grow through the top I purchased pots at the dollar store for the potting. When planting a sweet potato, the whole potato must be buried in the soil, the plants that grows are absolutley beautiful, each leaf forms a perfect heart. I have 2 on our back porch that our neighbors have admired, so I decided to pot some for them, very inexpensive gift, but so beautiful.

July 9, 2015
2:12 pm
Joelle
Superstar
Members
2907sp_Permalink sp_Print

happy-flower

I baked a raisin cake this morning for my Hubby, the recipe came from his Grandmother, and is about 120 years old. I love baking that cake, his Grandmother was like a Mother to him and he loved her so much, I never met her, but making this cake for him gives me a special feeling.

We have had so much rain her, so can't do much outside, I did run out to the garden to tie up the tomato plants, they are growing like crazy, lots of fruit coming on. The wind is blowing a good bit that they needed shored up a bit so they don't break, I did harvest a few peppers and we will have those for dinner tonight.

July 15, 2015
9:45 am
Paws_Bakery
Southern Ontario
Super Chicken
Members
Forum Posts: 809
2908sp_Permalink sp_Print

We have been busy renovating our basement.  Drywall is all done and has 2 coats of paint.  That has been keeping us busy with our free time.  The next step is to put in the flooring, most of it is a wood laminate, and then some ceramic tile.  We filled the smoker on Sunday and then cut up and divided for future meals and into the freezer that went.  No time for sewing lately, but I sure do miss it. 

July 15, 2015
9:46 pm
mamajhk
South Central Kansas
Super Chicken
Members
2909sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hubby and I are on vacation.  On the way to a family (his) reunion in Indiana.  So far the weather has cooperated and we haven't had any storms but have seen wet pavement several times. 

July 16, 2015
8:44 am
Paws_Bakery
Southern Ontario
Super Chicken
Members
Forum Posts: 809
2910sp_Permalink sp_Print

Safe travels!!! I hope you have a wonderful time at the family reunion. 

My husbands family is having one the beginning of August and there will be family there that no one has met before, they hooked up on Ancestry website :)

Hugs Cheryl pawprint

July 16, 2015
10:26 pm
mamajhk
South Central Kansas
Super Chicken
Members
2911sp_Permalink sp_Print

So far everything has been going good.  Did have to make a detour because one of the rivers in Illinois was flooded.  Saw lots of standing water in fields.  I think Indiana (at least the part we were in) is flatter than Kansas.  Sorry hoosiers (my hubby was born in Indiana).

July 30, 2015
2:07 pm
brookdale
Eastern Maine
Super Chicken
Members
Forum Posts: 563
2912sp_Permalink sp_Print

Wow the forums are quiet lately! Everyone must be really busy doing summer things.

Today I've hung out 2 loads of laundry on my clotheslines. The weather is hot and breezy today. Good drying weather, my Grammy would say!

Got to be sure and look at the "blue moon" tonight. The second full moon in the same month.

Well, everyone have a wonderful day!

Remember, if it rains on your picnic it's also raining on your garden!

July 30, 2015
3:19 pm
mamajhk
South Central Kansas
Super Chicken
Members
2913sp_Permalink sp_Print

Well, I am not getting as much done as I should be.  It rained all morning here so kind of put a damper on plans.  Didn't really have a plan b.  It is now sunny and warming up.  We have been laying some more flooring in the house.  Changing carpet to laminate flooring.  Have 2 bedrooms and hall and hallway closets done including removing popcorn ceiling (I hate that stuff) and painting ceiling and walls as well as refurnishing the baseboards.  Getting ready to do the living room.  I am not looking forward to doing it since I am the one who will be removing the popcorn and painting etc.  The thought makes me tired but we have come this far and this is the last room that has to be done.   

August 6, 2015
9:09 am
luvsclassics
NorthEast
Big Chicken
Members
Forum Posts: 15
2914sp_Permalink sp_Print

To Joell: 

what is your recipe for " Raisin Cake", 120 year old recipe of your family, from grandmothers? 

Just decided to log on, almost forgot my password. 

To all: 

Today, I am going to a food demonstration at one of my local libraries, on " Fermentation of Cabbage" presented by " Dor" Dorothy of the Suppers program in Princeton. She also  showing how to make Kimchee.

I made my own fermented cabbage in a 2 qt. glass jar during the winter. Used a clean small jelly jar w/ marbles as the weight to keep the shredded cabbage submerged below the brine,and covered with a piece of cheesecloth, rubber banded;  also check daily and push down the cabbage w/ a big spoon.

Today, I'm bringing my 2 Qt glass jar to see if I can take some home from the demo. In another 2 months, fall and cooler weather will be ideal temps to allow fermentation jars in kitchen as opposed to summer heat. 

August 6, 2015
10:07 am
pdelainey
Saskatchwan, Canada
Big Chicken
Members
Forum Posts: 94
2915sp_Permalink sp_Print

I'm planning to make rhubarb jelly, chockcherry syrup, chockcherry jelly, and possibly some cookies

August 6, 2015
4:19 pm
mamajhk
South Central Kansas
Super Chicken
Members
2916sp_Permalink sp_Print

Finished painting the living room (2 coats ceiling and walls).  I had removed the popcorn ceiling a couple of days ago.  It was the last room in the house that had any left.happy-feet  Hubby and middle granddaughter are laying laminate flooring.  Still have to refinish the baseboards and do some other minor details but there is a light at the end of the tunnel.happy-flower

August 19, 2015
11:02 am
pdelainey
Saskatchwan, Canada
Big Chicken
Members
Forum Posts: 94
2917sp_Permalink sp_Print

Making more chockcherry juice. Will be canning it later tonight (about 16quarts) and then picking apples to make sauce.

August 19, 2015
12:17 pm
Miss Judy
West Central MO
Superstar
Members
Forum Posts: 1497
2918sp_Permalink sp_Print

Making zucchini relish! All done but the cleaning up. chef

August 19, 2015
6:52 pm
mamajhk
South Central Kansas
Super Chicken
Members
2919sp_Permalink sp_Print

I spent the day sanding the final baseboard (12' long) that needed to be redone.  Also got stain put on it and will poly it tomorrow. I also did a little sanding on a end table that my dad had built for my mother back in the 1960s' (I think) have a long way to go on that project.  There is another end table and a coffee table to do also.  It is a long over do project that needs to be done.

August 30, 2015
12:43 pm
Joelle
Superstar
Members
2920sp_Permalink sp_Print

Mamajhk has inspired me, today I am taking down all of the towel bars, paper holder ect. in our bath rooms and patching the holes. We picked up paint chips yesterday to decide on colors for the walls. We put up the new light a couple of weeks ago and have ordered a new shower door, I am so excited to see the changes taking place, our bathrooms needed a face lift, when we built the house there were not a lot of the big box stores and the choices were very limited. I will share this, when I went shopping for the towel bars etc, I was very surprised to see how expensive they are I went on Amazon and found the same brands, same items and saved over half, with free shipping. We saved enough that we could afford to have the shower doors installed and then some.happy-flower

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 183

Currently Online:
32 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
2 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Leahld22: 2738

Joelle: 2579

Ross: 2426

MaryB: 1783

JeannieB: 1500

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 15

Members: 7486

Moderators: 3

Admins: 4

Forum Stats:

Groups: 1

Forums: 14

Topics: 3490

Newest Members:

Joanne_1, cindylee, Ellie_1, brianstann, Betty_2, dfrawlely

Moderators: Pete: 8497, wvhomecanner: 3159, Flatlander: 1643

Administrators: Suzanne McMinn: 7368, emiline220: 16, CindyP: 7942, BuckeyeGirl: 4921

Sections

1. The Farmhouse Blog
  2. The Chickens in the Road Forum
  3. Farm Bell Recipes

Latest Posts on the Farmhouse Blog:

Daily Farm

If you would like to help support the overhead costs of this website, you may donate. Thank you!

Forum Buzz

Site Info

Privacy Policy, Disclosure, Disclaimer, and Terms of Use

Contact