A A A

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
What are you doing with your day?
August 30, 2015
4:55 pm
mamajhk
South Central Kansas
Super Chicken
Members
Forum Posts: 929
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
2921sp_Permalink sp_Print

Glad I inspired someone, Joell.  I am still slowly getting things put back in the living room.  Still need to work on a couple of end tables.  But, I am working a baby bed that my dad made in 1970 for our daughter.    It is about the size of bassinet and has a shelf underneath for diapers and such.  My nephew and his wife are expecting a baby in a couple of weeks and this will go to my sister's for the baby to use there.  We lived in a small apartment and needed something small.  

My 2 kids used it and my niece and nephew used it at grandma's.  Our youngest granddaughter used it here.  It needed some TLC.  I had sanded it down in hope of staining and varnishing and decided (after a coat of varnish was applied) that I couldn't leave it that way. Did you ever have one of those projects that you got almost done with and you knew that it wasn't up to your standards and that you wouldn't be happy with it that way?  That was this project. So resanding it down and will paint it (it was originally painted white).    My dad used wood he had available  and we added some additional slats (around the edges) for safety factor so painting will be the best thing for it.

I plan to do some sort of thing that will tell when it was made, who made and who has slept in it.  Hopefully it will stay in the family and my great grandkids will use it.

September 1, 2015
9:38 am
Joelle
Superstar
Members
Forum Posts: 2634
2922sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi Mamajhk,

You are a very busy girl! I have refinished some much furniture over the past 50 years, back when we were going to auctions most everything had several coats of paint, every room in our home has something that had been refinished as well as pieces being used in our Son's home and stored in his basement, I finally has to quit. It is difficult when I see something at a great price that needs some TLC, it is very addicting. How nice that you will pass the baby bed down to future family members along with the history of the piece.

My Husband's Grandfather was from West Virginia, he had a car dealership and made furniture as a hobby, we have several pieces he made including our dining room table, a plate rack and several small tables and some wooden lamps, he always put the date when he made them and his initials. We treasure those items, as will your children. Have fun with your projects. happy-flower

"Be kinder than necessary, everyone is fighting some sort of battle."

September 1, 2015
9:54 am
mamajhk
South Central Kansas
Super Chicken
Members
2923sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks. Joell.  I have several pieces that have been in the both my husband or mine for years.  Some I have refinished and others I haven't.  I have several pieces in various stages of redo.  Need to get things completed hubby is wanting his garage space back.   

September 2, 2015
11:48 am
Joelle
Superstar
Members
2924sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi Mamajhk,

I read in your other comment about a Brothers sewing machine, do you do quilting?

Jo

September 2, 2015
11:16 pm
mamajhk
South Central Kansas
Super Chicken
Members
2925sp_Permalink sp_Print

Not a whole lot.  May try it this winter, though.  HA.  Have done some pot holders and lap blankets as presents.  

September 5, 2015
12:51 pm
Heather_1
Hatchling
Chickens
Forum Posts: 1
2926sp_Permalink sp_Print

New to the forums, but not to CITR.  Have followed the blog for a few years, fueling my desire to make something out of our little 3 acres.  Had the pleasure of doing a 5 day retreat with Suzanne this summer with my mom, had a blast and learned so much.  Work has been to busy for me to "play" much, but this 3 day weekend has no plans :)

Today is putting laundry out on the line.  Just made a batch of Tarragon vinegar with tarragon from my garden.  Just started the Lactic Cheese from this site and will be baking some bread shortly, although I'm not sure what kind.  Grateful for a weekend to play.

September 8, 2015
3:50 pm
Joelle
Superstar
Members
2927sp_Permalink sp_Print

mamajhk said
Not a whole lot.  May try it this winter, though.  HA.  Have done some pot holders and lap blankets as presents.  

If you ever get the time let me know, I have a reason for asking. 

Jo wink

September 8, 2015
3:51 pm
Joelle
Superstar
Members
2928sp_Permalink sp_Print

happy-flowerhappy-flowerhappy-flower

When Mother Nature gives you you a heavy loaded broken apple tree----you make apple butter!!

September 10, 2015
10:28 am
Joelle
Superstar
Members
2929sp_Permalink sp_Print

Today I am the plumbers assistant, Hubby it replacing the kitchen faucets, I am the "Honey would you get me this, or Honey where is that" go getter person, but I don't mind, it will like nice and that little leak that just occurred will be gone. I think some apple dumplings are in order. happy-flower

September 11, 2015
9:30 am
mamajhk
South Central Kansas
Super Chicken
Members
2930sp_Permalink sp_Print

Joell, that is also my role when hubby is working around the house.  But lately I have been replaced sometimes by a really cute 11 year old that adores her grandpa.  Go figure.  

As far as what I am doing today.  Probably doing those things that I didn't get done yesterday.

September 14, 2015
8:55 am
brookdale
Eastern Maine
Super Chicken
Members
Forum Posts: 563
2931sp_Permalink sp_Print

Today DH and I have dr. appts. and then we are going to see the new movie, "A Walk in the Woods". We are looking forward to it, don't get to the movies very often (or "the picture show" as my father used to say.)

Remember, if it rains on your picnic it's also raining on your garden!

September 23, 2015
10:51 am
Miss Judy
West Central MO
Superstar
Members
Forum Posts: 1497
2932sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hubby is redoing the master bath...I plan to work up some apples today. Cinnamon red Apple slices and probably apple pie filling....if I can get moving. My daughter and her husband were here for a few days and now they are on the road again (he's an over the road trucker). Probably won't see them again for another 6 weeks, unless he gets a load back this way. They sold everything and hit the road a couple of months back. Throwing all they can at debt so they can buy a small acreage and live the homestead life. thankfully they both have lived in the countryhappy-flower Sooooo I'm trying to can a lot to help them out when they are ready to settle on their mini farm.

September 23, 2015
1:41 pm
Joelle
Superstar
Members
2933sp_Permalink sp_Print

Miss Judy said
Hubby is redoing the master bath...I plan to work up some apples today. Cinnamon red Apple slices and probably apple pie filling....if I can get moving. My daughter and her husband were here for a few days and now they are on the road again (he's an over the road trucker). Probably won't see them again for another 6 weeks, unless he gets a load back this way. They sold everything and hit the road a couple of months back. Throwing all they can at debt so they can buy a small acreage and live the homestead life. thankfully they both have lived in the countryhappy-flower Sooooo I'm trying to can a lot to help them out when they are ready to settle on their mini farm.

Hi Miss Judy, how exciting for your daughter and her hubby, I certainly wish them well.

September 23, 2015
1:47 pm
Joelle
Superstar
Members
2934sp_Permalink sp_Print

Today we are headed for the city, we have to take care of a few things there and then we will stop at one of our favorite stores, Miejers, I love that store, it is huge and the produce department is wonderful, and the shelf goods selection is fabulous, I can spend a couple hours in the store easily, I can find thing there that I never see in other stores. Hubby loves the bakery and deli, a little of this and a couple of those. Lots of fun,

September 23, 2015
4:25 pm
mamajhk
South Central Kansas
Super Chicken
Members
2935sp_Permalink sp_Print

Joell, I have been to Miejer's in Indiana and loved it, too.  We don't have them here.

I have done a load of sheets and pillowcases and hung them on the line.  They are dry, fold and put away and the pillowcases are ironed.

Went to Home Depot after supplies for hubby and washed the car and stopped by the grocery store.

Just being doing a little bit of this and that that haven't gotten done before.

Miss Judy, good luck with the bathroom redo. 

I have some pears that we were given Sat. and I am hoping to make either Pear Honey or Pear Butter with them.  That is on tap for tomorrow.

September 24, 2015
11:47 am
pdelainey
Saskatchwan, Canada
Big Chicken
Members
Forum Posts: 94
2936sp_Permalink sp_Print

I'm canning salsa today. Possibly pasta sauce and ketchup too if I have time

September 30, 2015
7:36 pm
brookdale
Eastern Maine
Super Chicken
Members
Forum Posts: 563

Made and froze 5 half pints of applesauce from apples we picked last week. That will taste good this winter!

And, Heather_1, welcome to the forums! There is so much information here from so many interesting people. I've learned a lot here over the years, and everyone is very helpful.

Remember, if it rains on your picnic it's also raining on your garden!

September 30, 2015
8:27 pm
mamajhk
South Central Kansas
Super Chicken
Members

I finished some canning today.  Made 2 batches of Sand Plum Jelly and one of Grape Jelly on Saturday.  Would have been 3 of sand plum but ran out of pectin.  Also, peeled and put some pears I had been given in the crockpot to cook down.  

Since Monday was the annual family field trip to a zoo about 100 miles from here nothing was done.  

Made the 3 batch of sand plum jelly yesterday.  2 cups of juice left over went back into the freezer with the rest of the sand plums for the next sand plum jellymaking time  

Mixed the pear sauce with brown sugar, cinnamon and lemon juice and put in crockpot to cook another 10 hours.  Well, got up this morning to can it and discovered that it was way too runny and after googling how to fix it poured it into a pan (burning the fingers on one hand in the process (they are fine but one is a little tender)) and cooked it down some more.  I got 8 half pints out of them.  This was the first time I have ever attempt pear butter.  Tasted them before I processed them and they tasted good.  Out of the 45 jars I have processed only one didn't seal but that is okay because hubby has claimed it for his own.  Can you guess that he was hungry for some homemade sand plum jelly.  I cooked all the jelly about 30 seconds longer that the instructions said to and the sand plum jelly was firm. 

The jars are awaiting labels and then everything is cleaned up and put away for now. 

October 27, 2015
1:43 pm
Joelle
Superstar
Members
2939sp_Permalink sp_Print

mamajhk said
I finished some canning today.  Made 2 batches of Sand Plum Jelly and one of Grape Jelly on Saturday.  Would have been 3 of sand plum but ran out of pectin.  Also, peeled and put some pears I had been given in the crockpot to cook down.  

Since Monday was the annual family field trip to a zoo about 100 miles from here nothing was done.  

Made the 3 batch of sand plum jelly yesterday.  2 cups of juice left over went back into the freezer with the rest of the sand plums for the next sand plum jellymaking time  

Mixed the pear sauce with brown sugar, cinnamon and lemon juice and put in crockpot to cook another 10 hours.  Well, got up this morning to can it and discovered that it was way too runny and after googling how to fix it poured it into a pan (burning the fingers on one hand in the process (they are fine but one is a little tender)) and cooked it down some more.  I got 8 half pints out of them.  This was the first time I have ever attempt pear butter.  Tasted them before I processed them and they tasted good.  Out of the 45 jars I have processed only one didn't seal but that is okay because hubby has claimed it for his own.  Can you guess that he was hungry for some homemade sand plum jelly.  I cooked all the jelly about 30 seconds longer that the instructions said to and the sand plum jelly was firm. 

The jars are awaiting labels and then everything is cleaned up and put away for now. 

happy-flowerhappy-flowerhappy-flower

Hi Mary, that sound so good! If you need a taster tester I will happily volunteer!

Today we are being very lazy and doing nothing. We have worked very had for the last 3 days outside getting the yard read for Winter, we are both so tired and have sore muscles. For dinner we are having subs from our favorite pizza store. It is starting to rain outside and we are expecting a lot of rain in the next days, so it was worth the work. If I dont get anything else done outside, it will be alright.

October 27, 2015
3:15 pm
mamajhk
South Central Kansas
Super Chicken
Members
2940sp_Permalink sp_Print

Joell, you will have to get in line as Sand Plum Jelly is a family favorite.  We will be having finger foods tonight (lil smokies baked in brown sugar, maple glazed wings, chips and dip and maybe summer sausage and cheese plate).  It's the first game of the World Series.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 183

Currently Online:
29 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Leahld22: 2738

Joelle: 2634

Ross: 2426

MaryB: 1783

JeannieB: 1500

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 15

Members: 7551

Moderators: 3

Admins: 4

Forum Stats:

Groups: 1

Forums: 14

Topics: 3491

Newest Members:

Connie_3, debi_1, Lynda_1, maeser, Kimmy, jan_1

Moderators: Pete: 8497, wvhomecanner: 3159, Flatlander: 1643

Administrators: Suzanne McMinn: 7368, emiline220: 16, CindyP: 7942, BuckeyeGirl: 4921

Sections

1. The Farmhouse Blog
  2. The Chickens in the Road Forum
  3. Farm Bell Recipes

Latest Posts on the Farmhouse Blog:

Daily Farm

If you would like to help support the overhead costs of this website, you may donate. Thank you!

Forum Buzz

Site Info

Privacy Policy, Disclosure, Disclaimer, and Terms of Use

Contact