A A A

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
What's the Weather in Your Area?
February 18, 2016
3:57 pm
mamajhk
South Central Kansas
Super Chicken
Members
Forum Posts: 929
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
2141sp_Permalink sp_Print

Temps are in the high 70's with forecast 80's but high WIND warnings over most of the state (gusts in 40's or more).  Otherwise it is a beautiful day in Kansas.  With another one on tap for tomorrow but not as windy.

February 22, 2016
7:19 am
CassieOz
Crookwell, NSW, Australia
Banty
Members
Forum Posts: 8
2142sp_Permalink sp_Print

Well February is our hottest month with an expected high of 36C (96F) tomorrow. Disgusting!  At least we have a cool breeze tonight so I have all the doors open to cool the house off as best we can.sleepy-cowAt these temps, cows tend to shelter rather than graze and milk production in my two Jersey girls will fall.  Not good weather for making butter anyway.

March 27, 2016
9:36 am
Joelle
Superstar
Members
Forum Posts: 2634
2143sp_Permalink sp_Print

happy-flower

Mamajhk, I saw on the news this morning about the wildfires in Kansas, are you in any danger?

"Be kinder than necessary, everyone is fighting some sort of battle."

March 28, 2016
4:55 am
mamajhk
South Central Kansas
Super Chicken
Members
2144sp_Permalink sp_Print

Joell said
happy-flower

Mamajhk, I saw on the news this morning about the wildfires in Kansas, are you in any danger?

No, we did get some of the smoke from them, though with the strong winds we had.  The one near Medicine Lodge is near where hubby & I grew up and we are very familiar with the area.  That area has a lot of inaccessible areas that will just have to burn itself out. The news is saying that it is 81% contained.  The snow they/we had early Sun. morning helped a lot as well as the winds dying down.  Welcome to Kansas where in one part of the state they were dealing with a blizzard and in another part fires.

Hope your Easter was good.

March 28, 2016
9:15 am
Joelle
Superstar
Members
2145sp_Permalink sp_Print

mamajhk said

Joell said
happy-flower

No, we did get some of the smoke from them, though with the strong winds we had.  The one near Medicine Lodge is near where hubby & I grew up and we are very familiar with the area.  That area has a lot of inaccessible areas that will just have to burn itself out. The news is saying that it is 81% contained.  The snow they/we had early Sun. morning helped a lot as well as the winds dying down.  Welcome to Kansas where in one part of the state they were dealing with a blizzard and in another part fires.

Hope your Easter was good.

happy-flowerI am happy to hear that you all are safe, the weather seems so unpredictable anymore. We had a very nice Easter, took some goodies to neighbors and had a nice dinner, the weather here was beautiful, sunny and 75 degrees, last night we had a bad storm, nearly an 1 1/2 inches of rain and heavy winds. today is cold and windy, I was planning on going into the city, but don't like driving in these winds. Good day to stay in. Think I will bake some biscuits for breakfast. 

March 28, 2016
10:03 am
mamajhk
South Central Kansas
Super Chicken
Members
2146sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks,  It is springtime in Kansas.  Yesterday morning we woke up to about 3 inches of wet snow on the ground.  Once the sun came out it all melted.   If there are any places that still have snow this morning I don't expect them to have it by the end of today.  We are suppose get into the 70's today.   Right now the sun is shining.  We have a temp of 32 degrees.  The trees and grass are green

April 7, 2016
11:44 am
Joelle
Superstar
Members
2147sp_Permalink sp_Print

happy-flower

Another crazy day here for the weather. Last night we had a lot of wind, not like the 61 MPH winds we had in the night last week, but enough to bring down a lot of twigs. Right now it is in the low 40's and raining, the temp is supposed to drop and the rain will turn to snow. bug-eyed

April 7, 2016
4:21 pm
mamajhk
South Central Kansas
Super Chicken
Members
2148sp_Permalink sp_Print

I think you will be having more wind, Joell, as it is another windy day here in Kansas.  Not quite as bad as the last couple of days.  Still having wildfires but not like the biggie a couple of weeks ago (btw it is still burning in spots because the terrain is such that they can not access it)  There is almot a state wide burn ban in effect. 

April 9, 2016
1:22 pm
Joelle
Superstar
Members
2149sp_Permalink sp_Print

mamajhk said
I think you will be having more wind, Joell, as it is another windy day here in Kansas.  Not quite as bad as the last couple of days.  Still having wildfires but not like the biggie a couple of weeks ago (btw it is still burning in spots because the terrain is such that they can not access it)  There is almot a state wide burn ban in effect. 

You were right, more wind! It was so windy this morning, snow on the ground and very cold, the chill factor was 10 degrees in out area.

I am so happy to hear that fires are not a threat to you and the family. It seems as though every morning when I watch the news there are are awful things going on, storms, fires, tornados and such, it is very scary. Our trees were out in bud, but I doubt we will have much fruit this year, I was so hoping for my first harvest of rhubarb, but it looks bad right now, probably have to get my pie fix from the produce dept.--again.

April 9, 2016
3:57 pm
mamajhk
South Central Kansas
Super Chicken
Members
2150sp_Permalink sp_Print

It is actually quite nice outside today.  I think I saw that it was 71 and a light wind.  Although, we were affected by the smoke from the fires they were in very rural areas of Kansas and Oklahoma.  I think some of them are probably still burning and probably will be for sometime.   we will take a road trip to the area in the near future.

April 9, 2016
10:40 pm
mamajhk
South Central Kansas
Super Chicken
Members
2151sp_Permalink sp_Print

Well, darn those pesky south winds are at it again.  We are/were under a wind advisory tonight.  All I know is that driving on east/west roads you need have both hands on the wheel.

April 18, 2016
11:44 pm
Squeegees Mom
South Texas
Mighty Chicken
Members
Forum Posts: 458
2152sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hooo Wheee! We have RAIN! We live on the West side of Houston. Much flooding (not here thankfully) and more rain to come. Our little community got 16 inches today. 6 inches fell in the early morning hours in less than 45 minutes. Storm and sewer drains just can't keep up. We live inside a levy to protect us from the Brazos River floods. This time the levy trapped all the water in like a bathtub. Not too many homes had serious water incursions. Just some minor under the door seepage, but many cars were flooded out simply by being parked in the street or toward the bottom of the driveway. Still need the levies, though. The Brazos River is rising.

Houston proper always floods. And today is no exception. We are to get at least two more days of this. Sad for those who had serious flooding/losses and lives lost.

April 19, 2016
2:21 pm
Joelle
Superstar
Members
2153sp_Permalink sp_Print

Squeegees Mom said
Hooo Wheee! We have RAIN! We live on the West side of Houston. Much flooding (not here thankfully) and more rain to come. Our little community got 16 inches today. 6 inches fell in the early morning hours in less than 45 minutes. Storm and sewer drains just can't keep up. We live inside a levy to protect us from the Brazos River floods. This time the levy trapped all the water in like a bathtub. Not too many homes had serious water incursions. Just some minor under the door seepage, but many cars were flooded out simply by being parked in the street or toward the bottom of the driveway. Still need the levies, though. The Brazos River is rising.

Houston proper always floods. And today is no exception. We are to get at least two more days of this. Sad for those who had serious flooding/losses and lives lost.

OMG!! We just saw some of the film footage on Fox News about the flooding in Houston, it is just so bad, such flooding of homes and property and all of the rescues of folks. Please stay safe and keep us updated.

Jo

April 21, 2016
12:40 pm
Squeegees Mom
South Texas
Mighty Chicken
Members
2154sp_Permalink sp_Print

It is raining again. Expecting less than 3 inches today. So many families and businesses have lost all in this rain event. Lives lost as well. In 2001, Tropical Storm Allison dropped about 40 inches of rain on Houston. Many changes in the way drainage and water run off have come about from that storm. Unfortunately, when you live at sea level, and have a fast growing, vibrant city, you end up with concrete covering the land. That brings flooding from water ponding on the surface.

I live 30 miles west of downtown Houston. VERY near the Brazos River. I live in a masterplanned community as do most people that are not in an incorporated area. They built a levy around the community to keep the Brazos from flooding us, but nothing can stop 20 inches of rain falling in a short time. You can plan to hasten the runoff, but you cannot avoid the flood waters.  We are OK for now. Water flooding the streets came to less than 10 feet from the house. We were fortunate. No water incursion here, but some neighbors had water seep in. The Brazos is running high, and has done some minor to moderate flooding in the low lying areas. Last I checked, the Brazos River peaked at 49.8 ft. The highest peak ever recorded was 50.2 ft. Close. But no cigar. Please add those who lost lives and property to your prayer list. Many thanks.

April 21, 2016
5:46 pm
Joelle
Superstar
Members
2155sp_Permalink sp_Print

Squeegees Mom said
It is raining again. Expecting less than 3 inches today. So many families and businesses have lost all in this rain event. Lives lost as well. In 2001, Tropical Storm Allison dropped about 40 inches of rain on Houston. Many changes in the way drainage and water run off have come about from that storm. Unfortunately, when you live at sea level, and have a fast growing, vibrant city, you end up with concrete covering the land. That brings flooding from water ponding on the surface.

I live 30 miles west of downtown Houston. VERY near the Brazos River. I live in a masterplanned community as do most people that are not in an incorporated area. They built a levy around the community to keep the Brazos from flooding us, but nothing can stop 20 inches of rain falling in a short time. You can plan to hasten the runoff, but you cannot avoid the flood waters.  We are OK for now. Water flooding the streets came to less than 10 feet from the house. We were fortunate. No water incursion here, but some neighbors had water seep in. The Brazos is running high, and has done some minor to moderate flooding in the low lying areas. Last I checked, the Brazos River peaked at 49.8 ft. The highest peak ever recorded was 50.2 ft. Close. But no cigar. Please add those who lost lives and property to your prayer list. Many thanks.

Hi Pam, I am so glad to see your post, I have been checking just about every hour to see if there was word from you. Thank goodness you are alright. The news footage has been very difficult to watch. The folks in Huston are in all of our thoughts and prayers I am sure, please keep us posted.

Jo

April 24, 2016
1:16 pm
Squeegees Mom
South Texas
Mighty Chicken
Members
2156sp_Permalink sp_Print

April 24, 2016
1:20 pm
Squeegees Mom
South Texas
Mighty Chicken
Members
2157sp_Permalink sp_Print

Sorry for the lack of image above. I guess I goofed and do not know how to delete that post.

Things are drying out slowly. As long as we don't get a significant amount of rain in the near future, we should be good. A long slow and pricey cleanup/repair awaits. But hopefully no more lives lost or property damaged. Thank you all for the prayers sent to Texas. They have been appreciated.

April 26, 2016
5:29 pm
Joelle
Superstar
Members
2158sp_Permalink sp_Print

Lots of storms here today, rain, lightening, thunder and hail. So far no winds in our area and I hope it stays that way. I will probably be sleeping downstairs tonight.wink

April 26, 2016
7:42 pm
mamajhk
South Central Kansas
Super Chicken
Members
2159sp_Permalink sp_Print

We have been having thunderstorms since about 4 this afternoon.  Tornado warning issued south of us but nothing here just a good old Kansas thunderstorm with some hail thrown in.  We had mostly pea size here with maybe a marble size or two for good measure.  Heard there was bigger ones in the area.  Yep spring has finally showed up in Kansas.  Today is the 25th anniversary of a deadly tornado that hit the air force base here (southeast part of the city) and north and east from there.  I have a feeling it is going to be a long night of warnings because this storms just keep coming up from the south/southwest.

May 27, 2016
4:35 pm
mamajhk
South Central Kansas
Super Chicken
Members
2160sp_Permalink sp_Print

Well, you know that it is almost wheat harvest time in the plains when Mother Nature unleashes her fury.  The wheat is starting to turn from green to yellow and we have had storms all week.  The tornadoes that you probably saw on the news earlier from Dodge City, KS which about 200 miles west of us.  Then the one up around Chapman, Ks is between 100 and 150 miles north east of us.  Today, we are having just good ole Kansas thunderstorms with some hail and probably wind.

I took a road trip yesterday and saw a lot wheat that was flattened by wind and/or hail and it will most likely won't be salvageable.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 183

Currently Online:
23 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Leahld22: 2738

Joelle: 2634

Ross: 2426

MaryB: 1783

JeannieB: 1500

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 15

Members: 7551

Moderators: 3

Admins: 4

Forum Stats:

Groups: 1

Forums: 14

Topics: 3491

Newest Members:

Connie_3, debi_1, Lynda_1, maeser, Kimmy, jan_1

Moderators: Pete: 8497, wvhomecanner: 3159, Flatlander: 1643

Administrators: Suzanne McMinn: 7368, emiline220: 16, CindyP: 7942, BuckeyeGirl: 4921

Sections

1. The Farmhouse Blog
  2. The Chickens in the Road Forum
  3. Farm Bell Recipes

Latest Posts on the Farmhouse Blog:

Daily Farm

If you would like to help support the overhead costs of this website, you may donate. Thank you!

Forum Buzz

Site Info

Privacy Policy, Disclosure, Disclaimer, and Terms of Use

Contact