A A A

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
What's the Weather in Your Area?
June 1, 2016
4:19 pm
Joelle
Superstar
Members
Forum Posts: 2495
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

mamajhk said
Well, you know that it is almost wheat harvest time in the plains when Mother Nature unleashes her fury.  The wheat is starting to turn from green to yellow and we have had storms all week.  The tornadoes that you probably saw on the news earlier from Dodge City, KS which about 200 miles west of us.  Then the one up around Chapman, Ks is between 100 and 150 miles north east of us.  Today, we are having just good ole Kansas thunderstorms with some hail and probably wind.

I took a road trip yesterday and saw a lot wheat that was flattened by wind and/or hail and it will most likely won't be salvageable.

happy-flowerHello, I am happy that you and your family are alright, the weather has really been so bad in various places, I am concerned about Squeegesmom and her family, she lives in Houston, and the news is showing so much flooding and devastation there yet again. I am not a fan of Winter but if these storms continue, I am looking forward to Fall. Our thoughts and prayers are with those that have been affected by all of these terrible storms.

"Be kinder than necessary, everyone is fighting some sort of battle."

June 2, 2016
4:50 pm
mamajhk
South Central Kansas
Super Chicken
Members
Forum Posts: 863
2162sp_Permalink sp_Print

The weather today has been sunny with a light breeze and temps in the 70's.  Took a road trip to pick up Memorial Day flowers and it was amazing to see the wheat so much riper than it was a week ago.  Need a few more days like this and I think they might be able to get into the fields to cut wheat but it isn't quite there yet.

I, too, think about Squeegesmom as well as our family that lives in south Texas (but not Houston). 

June 2, 2016
6:03 pm
Joelle
Superstar
Members
2163sp_Permalink sp_Print

mamajhk said
The weather today has been sunny with a light breeze and temps in the 70's.  Took a road trip to pick up Memorial Day flowers and it was amazing to see the wheat so much riper than it was a week ago.  Need a few more days like this and I think they might be able to get into the fields to cut wheat but it isn't quite there yet.

I, too, think about Squeegesmom as well as our family that lives in south Texas (but not Houston). 

I lived in Texas as a child, in Del Rio, just a few of miles from the Rio Grande, I can't even imagine the flooding in Huston. I am concerned about Squeegesmom, normally she would have posted a comment by now. I have been checking every couple of hours to see if there was any news from her.

June 5, 2016
1:41 pm
Joelle
Superstar
Members
2164sp_Permalink sp_Print

Joell said

mamajhk said

I lived in Texas as a child, in Del Rio, just a few of miles from the Rio Grande, I can't even imagine the flooding in Huston. I am concerned about Squeegesmom, normally she would have posted a comment by now. I have been checking every couple of hours to see if there was any news from her.

Hello Mamajhk,

I sent a PM to Squeegesmom (just in case) and received a reply, she has been unable to post to CITR and has sent a PM to Suzanne to see about getting things corrected---she is alright, there is a levy built around her development that has protected them from the flood waters, however their neighbors across the street are flooded out, that would have to be an extremely scary situation. I wanted to let everyone know she is safe and well.

June 5, 2016
5:24 pm
mamajhk
South Central Kansas
Super Chicken
Members
2165sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks for the update Joell.  I had seen where she had logged on a couple of days ago so I figured she was okay.  

June 5, 2016
10:38 pm
Squeegees Mom
South Texas
Mighty Chicken
Members
Forum Posts: 458
2166sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yay! I can post again! I have not been able to do more than log in for the last couple of weeks. Hubby thought maybe if he changed my computer to Ubuntu, it would work. He is so smart.

I appreciate y'alls concern for me. I was very frustrated not to be able to respond. 

I live in a levee protected community outside of Richmond TX. The people just across the streets from our levees were inundated with water from the Brazos River. I have never been so happy for a mound of dirt in my life. We came close, but no cigar. The water was only 1.5 ft from the top of our levee. We only had one road in and out due to high water. But no homes were flooded that were inside the levee. So strange to look out my window, see dry grounds, lots of green grass and lush landscapes from the rains, and not see all the horror of the flooding just blocks away. This was a record breaking flood for the Brazos. So many families lost all, and many were families that could not afford it. The communities rallied, and help is under way. We live in a great place.

June 6, 2016
8:52 am
mamajhk
South Central Kansas
Super Chicken
Members
2167sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yay. Glad to see your post squeegees mom.  Yeah, gotta loves those mounds of dirt sometimes don't ya?

June 6, 2016
3:45 pm
Joelle
Superstar
Members
2168sp_Permalink sp_Print

happy-flowerGlad you are back Squeegesmom, thank goodness that the developer of your community had the good sense and fore thought to build a levy, you have to think of the worst that can happen when you live near a large body of water, then prepare for it and pray it never happens.

June 20, 2016
3:16 pm
Joelle
Superstar
Members
2169sp_Permalink sp_Print

happy-flowerExtremely hot and very humid today, we are staying inside as much as possible, we have a "bad" air alert for our county. We need rain so badly, the ground is cracking due to the dryness, I hope we have rain soon.

June 23, 2016
9:23 am
Joelle
Superstar
Members
2170sp_Permalink sp_Print

happy-flower

What a night!!! We had the worst storms, over 4 inches of rain, hail, non stop lightening and winds with some gust at 100 MPH it was a very scary night, I expected to see a lot of limbs down but luckily we did not have any damage, still a day of thunderstorm ahead of us, but at least we can see what is going on outside, storms like that one in total darkness is very scary.

June 24, 2016
12:37 pm
Squeegees Mom
South Texas
Mighty Chicken
Members
Forum Posts: 458
2171sp_Permalink sp_Print

Joell said
happy-flower

What a night!!! We had the worst storms, over 4 inches of rain, hail, non stop lightening and winds with some gust at 100 MPH it was a very scary night, I expected to see a lot of limbs down but luckily we did not have any damage, still a day of thunderstorm ahead of us, but at least we can see what is going on outside, storms like that one in total darkness is very scary.

Wow! Glad you are OK.  Storms are scary anytime, but the night time ones are the worst. I will take a hurricane over a tornado, anytime. You have advance warning a hurricane is coming. None or very little with a tornado. Stay safe.

June 24, 2016
4:32 pm
Joelle
Superstar
Members
2172sp_Permalink sp_Print

Squeegees Mom said

Joell said
happy-flower

Wow! Glad you are OK.  Storms are scary anytime, but the night time ones are the worst. I will take a hurricane over a tornado, anytime. You have advance warning a hurricane is coming. None or very little with a tornado. Stay safe.

Thank you.

I agree with you, when I lived overseas we had hurricanes and while they are bad, they don't compare to a tornado. In our county, a blanket phone call call goes out to all phones when bad weather is close, it is nice because it gives a lot of detail for our area, even in the middle of the night  when most folks are not watching the news etc, we have warning.

June 24, 2016
8:56 pm
brookdale
Eastern Maine
Super Chicken
Members
Forum Posts: 561
2173sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hope Suzanne is OK, with all the floods in WV...

Remember, if it rains on your picnic it's also raining on your garden!

June 25, 2016
7:45 am
Joelle
Superstar
Members

brookdale said
Hope Suzanne is OK, with all the floods in WV...

I was wondering about Suzanne and the farm myself, we saw on the news that there has been declared a state of emergency in WV,  Tom Watson posted a video of the Greenbrier totally underwater and running like a river. 

I was just thinking about the stream that runs through Suzanne's farm it must have overflowed.

We read this morning that 44 out of 54 counties in WV have been declared a state of emergency. It sound really bad all over the state, I hope if she is able Suzanne will post about her situation. We have family in WV, and they are alright, they don't live near any waterway that might flood.

We just saw news footage of the flooding In WV--it is difficult to fathom so much destruction, our hearts and prayers go out to all of those affected.

June 27, 2016
2:19 pm
Joelle
Superstar
Members
2175sp_Permalink sp_Print

I am very concerned about Suzanne and the farm, I feel that she would have posted if she was at all able. We have been watching the news and it is so upsetting to see what has happened in WV and to make matters worse, they are reporting that more rain is expected there today, we had storms here last night and got 4 inches of rain, our weather normally moves to WV.

June 27, 2016
7:02 pm
PaulaA
SW Washington
Big Chicken
Members
Forum Posts: 11
2176sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yes, it is troubling not to hear anything.  If anyone knows anything about Suzanne and the farm, would you please post here on the Forum?  I'm really worried, too.

June 28, 2016
11:46 am
Joelle
Superstar
Members
2177sp_Permalink sp_Print

happy-flowerI checked maps on the internet and looked at Roane County which is the county that Suzanne lives in, and according what I could find, there is extensive flooding there. I am hoping that Morgan, if she is still in Morgantown, will post an update an update on Suzanne.

July 3, 2016
9:39 am
Joelle
Superstar
Members
2178sp_Permalink sp_Print

Bad news in the weather forecast, 2-3 inches of rain coming in to our area and flooding is expected, this is expected to move to the Ohio river and into WV. PLEASE if you can, help the folks in WV ---help now, call your church or any relief agencies. Please remember these folks have lost everything they have, if you can't give items needed, donate to help buy what they need.

July 21, 2016
9:45 am
Joelle
Superstar
Members
2179sp_Permalink sp_Print

happy-flowerhappy-flowerhappy-flowerhappy-flowerhappy-flowerhappy-flowerhappy-flowerhappy-flowerhappy-flowerhappy-flowerhappy-flower

HOT--HOT--HOT--and--HUMID!!!

At this rate we will be picking fried green tomatoes from the garden!

July 21, 2016
7:18 pm
mamajhk
South Central Kansas
Super Chicken
Members
2180sp_Permalink sp_Print

Joell, that about sums it up for here also.  I want to go back to the mountains where I was last week.  It was hot there but it was a dry heat.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 183

Currently Online:
48 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
2 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Leahld22: 2738

Joelle: 2495

Ross: 2426

MaryB: 1783

JeannieB: 1500

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 15

Members: 7406

Moderators: 3

Admins: 4

Forum Stats:

Groups: 1

Forums: 14

Topics: 3488

Newest Members:

Craftymommaa85, Becki_1, JennyCup, Paula_1, Skarmory, Linda_5

Moderators: Pete: 8497, wvhomecanner: 3159, Flatlander: 1643

Administrators: Suzanne McMinn: 7368, emiline220: 16, CindyP: 7942, BuckeyeGirl: 4921

Sections

1. The Farmhouse Blog
  2. The Chickens in the Road Forum
  3. Farm Bell Recipes

Latest Posts on the Farmhouse Blog:

Daily Farm

If you would like to help support the overhead costs of this website, you may donate. Thank you!

Forum Buzz

Site Info

Privacy Policy, Disclosure, Disclaimer, and Terms of Use

Contact