A A A

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
What's for Dinner?
January 10, 2016
10:22 am
Joelle
Superstar
Members
Forum Posts: 2518
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
2001sp_Permalink sp_Print

happy-flower

Making a nice pot of chili. I baked 2 loaves of bread this morning early for our neighbors and am working on two for us. A cold snowy days here, chili and home made bread. Yum.

"Be kinder than necessary, everyone is fighting some sort of battle."

January 10, 2016
2:04 pm
mamajhk
South Central Kansas
Super Chicken
Members
Forum Posts: 870
2002sp_Permalink sp_Print

It's cold here, also.  Just saw a temperature of 19 degrees.  We have to go out later this evening.  Not looking forward to it.  Good news no snow or ice to also deal with.  Since we bowl on Sun. evening we will probably grab a bite at the bowling alley so no cooking for me today.

January 17, 2016
1:58 pm
Joelle
Superstar
Members
2003sp_Permalink sp_Print

happy-flower

Burgers and oven fries for dinner tonight. Simple supper, brownie pizza for later with coffee.

January 23, 2016
6:22 am
Joelle
Superstar
Members
2004sp_Permalink sp_Print

happy-flower

Tonight we are going to have chicken pot pie , salad and jello with fruit.

January 25, 2016
8:45 am
Joelle
Superstar
Members
2005sp_Permalink sp_Print

happy-flower

Yesterday our Son dropped by and just happened to bring all the fixins for soup, so that is what I will be doing today, and bake some bread to send home with him when he picks up the soup--do they ever change ? Mom is always there to cook for them. I sort of enjoy it though.wink

January 25, 2016
10:36 am
mamajhk
South Central Kansas
Super Chicken
Members
2006sp_Permalink sp_Print

Beef stroganoff in the slow cooker.  Will try my grandma's noodle recipe to go with them.  I have her recipe from my bridal shower 48 years ago and haven't been able to make them yet.  I think I know how to do it.  Her recipe called for rich milk and since they lived on a farm and milked I am thinking that if I used either evaporated or half & half milk I might achieve that rich milk consistency.  Here's hoping.

January 28, 2016
11:54 am
Joelle
Superstar
Members
2007sp_Permalink sp_Print

mamajhk said
Beef stroganoff in the slow cooker.  Will try my grandma's noodle recipe to go with them.  I have her recipe from my bridal shower 48 years ago and haven't been able to make them yet.  I think I know how to do it.  Her recipe called for rich milk and since they lived on a farm and milked I am thinking that if I used either evaporated or half & half milk I might achieve that rich milk consistency.  Here's hoping.

Let us know how your stroganoff turned out, it sounds so good.

Today I am making macaroni salad and a batch of hotdog chili to top our hotdogs for supper. 

January 28, 2016
8:32 pm
mamajhk
South Central Kansas
Super Chicken
Members
2008sp_Permalink sp_Print

It turned out pretty good. I think I have figured out why my stew meat always ends up a mushy mess. I cut it into too small cubes. The noodles were okay but still not quite like the homemade noodles I remember. Think the next time I make noodles I will have to not roll them out so thin.

Had the leftovers tonight.

January 29, 2016
10:06 am
Joelle
Superstar
Members
2009sp_Permalink sp_Print

mamajhk said
It turned out pretty good. I think I have figured out why my stew meat always ends up a mushy mess. I cut it into too small cubes. The noodles were okay but still not quite like the homemade noodles I remember. Think the next time I make noodles I will have to not roll them out so thin.

Had the leftovers tonight.

Noodles are not easy to to in my opinion, I buy the Mrs. Reames frozen noodles. We don't have noodles that often, although I am a big fan of the chicken and noodles made in the crock pot happy-flower

February 5, 2016
1:27 pm
Joelle
Superstar
Members
2010sp_Permalink sp_Print

happy-flower

Today is our anniversary, and I feel like one of the most lucky people in the world to have spent so many years with such a wonderful Husband, and pray we have several more. We decided we did not want to go into the city for dinner, so I am cooking-- BBQ ribs, steamed broccoli with cheese sauce and cooked sweet carrots. I baked a pineapple upside cake for my Husband, one of his very favorites.snuggle

February 5, 2016
10:17 pm
Squeegees Mom
South Texas
Mighty Chicken
Members
Forum Posts: 458
2011sp_Permalink sp_Print

Joell said
happy-flower

Today is our anniversary, and I feel like one of the most lucky people in the world to have spent so many years with such a wonderful Husband, and pray we have several more. We decided we did not want to go into the city for dinner, so I am cooking-- BBQ ribs, steamed broccoli with cheese sauce and cooked sweet carrots. I baked a pineapple upside cake for my Husband, one of his very favorites.snuggle

Wishing you and your husband a very Happy Anniversary, and a wonderful year to come.

February 5, 2016
10:36 pm
Squeegees Mom
South Texas
Mighty Chicken
Members
2012sp_Permalink sp_Print

In an attempt to be healthier, my hubby and I began a new way of eating. We are only eating plant based foods. No sugar or sugar products, no oils, no animal products at all. My goal is to eat 1 pound of raw vegetables and 1 pound of cooked vegetables per day. I cannot eat that much yet, but doing better. I am losing much needed pounds and am not going hungry in the least. Dinner tonight was a big salad of kale, spinach, and romaine, with tomatoes and carrots. Dressed with freshly made Dijon Date dressing. Second course was a big bowl of soup, loaded with kale, zucchini, carrots, celery, split peas and red beans. Dessert was fresh blueberries.  I do miss my morning coffee, and my love affair with home baked sweets is difficult to set aside. It has been an adventure!

February 6, 2016
12:56 pm
Joelle
Superstar
Members

Squeegees Mom said
In an attempt to be healthier, my hubby and I began a new way of eating. We are only eating plant based foods. No sugar or sugar products, no oils, no animal products at all. My goal is to eat 1 pound of raw vegetables and 1 pound of cooked vegetables per day. I cannot eat that much yet, but doing better. I am losing much needed pounds and am not going hungry in the least. Dinner tonight was a big salad of kale, spinach, and romaine, with tomatoes and carrots. Dressed with freshly made Dijon Date dressing. Second course was a big bowl of soup, loaded with kale, zucchini, carrots, celery, split peas and red beans. Dessert was fresh blueberries.  I do miss my morning coffee, and my love affair with home baked sweets is difficult to set aside. It has been an adventure!

You are my hero!!

We have been trying to eat a bit healthier as well, I love steam veggies with of lemon juice, Hubby on the other hand will tell you he loves veggies--drowned in cheese sauce, I have been baking a good bit, but trying not to eat any thing, mostly it has been for friends and family. I miss chocolate most of all, my Doctor tells me I can have 2 dark chocolate kisses and a few toasted almonds as a treat--ok I am trying that. I don't thing I can give up mu coffee and tea. My Mother who is in her upper 90's drinks nothing but green tea and uses only honey as a sweetner. She still has her toast and butter in the morning and still enjoys pastries, I hope this is a good sign for me.

February 7, 2016
11:43 am
Squeegees Mom
South Texas
Mighty Chicken
Members
2014sp_Permalink sp_Print

Oh, I would love to have a bite or two of dark chocolate! I cannot have any sweeteners except the natural sugars in the fruits and veggies to stick with this plan. No oils no animal products. I have become good friends with dates. They sweeten very well, and are "legal". I have been pondering Valentines Day. I discovered it is OK to have natural cocoa powder. So, I will be dusting strawberries with cocoa powder for our Valentines Day treat. The sweetness of the berry really goes well with a bit of cocoa. Dinner last nite was a big mixed greens salad with some of the left over dijon date dressing and bean enchiladas with a side of steamed edamame. This mornings breakfast was terrific! Oatmeal, currants, blueberries and sliced banana cooked together, and 1 grated apple and a small handful of pecans added in when the oatmeal was done cooking. We enjoyed it with a dab of unsweetened almond milk.

It sounds like you have good genes if your Momma is active and well at her age.  A few cheats here and there have to be allowed. Cannot be perfect all the time.

February 7, 2016
12:11 pm
Joelle
Superstar
Members
2015sp_Permalink sp_Print

Squeegees Mom said
Oh, I would love to have a bite or two of dark chocolate! I cannot have any sweeteners except the natural sugars in the fruits and veggies to stick with this plan. No oils no animal products. I have become good friends with dates. They sweeten very well, and are "legal". I have been pondering Valentines Day. I discovered it is OK to have natural cocoa powder. So, I will be dusting strawberries with cocoa powder for our Valentines Day treat. The sweetness of the berry really goes well with a bit of cocoa. Dinner last nite was a big mixed greens salad with some of the left over dijon date dressing and bean enchiladas with a side of steamed edamame. This mornings breakfast was terrific! Oatmeal, currants, blueberries and sliced banana cooked together, and 1 grated apple and a small handful of pecans added in when the oatmeal was done cooking. We enjoyed it with a dab of unsweetened almond milk.

It sounds like you have good genes if your Momma is active and well at her age.  A few cheats here and there have to be allowed. Cannot be perfect all the time.

You must be a very regimented person, It seems like I have fought with my weight all my life, I try not to let it get too out of control. This winter I did a lot of baking and a lot of sampling. I am also hoping I have Mom's genes, but at this point, my jeans are a little more snug than I care for. I have always been an impatient person, and want to see results within a week or two. This time I did not get on the scale, I have a favorite pair of jeans the size I want to be, when those fit, I will know where I am, scales are very daunting, and I would rather not go through that. About the chocolate, I love chocolate like most gals and was beyond thrilled when I heard dark chocolate was good for you. The almonds and a couple of the kisses do help with the chocolate cravings, sort of like a Hersery bar I should be good after about the third week. I made a trip to the store for only fresh veggies and as soon as I got home I preped them for cooking and also purchased a bottle of fat-free ranch for use as a dip or on my baked potatoes, so far I am not feeling deprived. I will I had some of your ambition. We will both work at towards our goal. happy-flower

February 7, 2016
1:03 pm
Squeegees Mom
South Texas
Mighty Chicken
Members
2016sp_Permalink sp_Print

Joelle, may I suggest reading a book by Dr Joel Fuhrman called "Eat to Live"? He is a Cardiologist who has had fabulous success with this diet. I am following his plan, and lost 8 pounds in one week. Now that is motivating since I have not starved, and have enjoyed almost all his recipes. Yeah, I have had to give up some bad for me foods, but losing weight, and being healthier makes it a lot easier to do. This is not a diet, but a life plan. I am on his aggressive weight loss plan right now to get a good jump on things. More leeway is allowed after 6 weeks. Reading about his successes gives me hope to feel better in my mature years.

February 7, 2016
3:56 pm
Joelle
Superstar
Members
2017sp_Permalink sp_Print

Squeegees Mom said
Joelle, may I suggest reading a book by Dr Joel Fuhrman called "Eat to Live"? He is a Cardiologist who has had fabulous success with this diet. I am following his plan, and lost 8 pounds in one week. Now that is motivating since I have not starved, and have enjoyed almost all his recipes. Yeah, I have had to give up some bad for me foods, but losing weight, and being healthier makes it a lot easier to do. This is not a diet, but a life plan. I am on his aggressive weight loss plan right now to get a good jump on things. More leeway is allowed after 6 weeks. Reading about his successes gives me hope to feel better in my mature years.

Thank you for that information, I found his book on Ebay for less than $4 with free shipping for a paperback copy, several are available.

February 9, 2016
10:24 am
Joelle
Superstar
Members
2018sp_Permalink sp_Print

happy-flower

Today is a cold and snow and sort of gray day so I decided on a small roast in the slow cooker with onions carrots and potatoes. I am making some jello with peaches for desert.

February 14, 2016
12:21 pm
Joelle
Superstar
Members

happy-flower

VALENTINE'S DAY MENU

LASAGNA

SALAD

GARLIC BREAD

HEART SHAPED CHOCOLATE CAKE

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY EVERYONE!

February 18, 2016
4:46 pm
Joelle
Superstar
Members
2020sp_Permalink sp_Print

happy-flower

Sloppy Joe's made with very lean ground beef on a multi-grain bun with oven fries.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 183

Currently Online:
23 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
2 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Leahld22: 2738

Joelle: 2518

Ross: 2426

MaryB: 1783

JeannieB: 1500

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 15

Members: 7439

Moderators: 3

Admins: 4

Forum Stats:

Groups: 1

Forums: 14

Topics: 3490

Newest Members:

Cindi_1, vtx_chic, Katherine_1, terryc, Jodi-Ann, Bee_1

Moderators: Pete: 8497, wvhomecanner: 3159, Flatlander: 1643

Administrators: Suzanne McMinn: 7368, emiline220: 16, CindyP: 7942, BuckeyeGirl: 4921

Sections

1. The Farmhouse Blog
  2. The Chickens in the Road Forum
  3. Farm Bell Recipes

Latest Posts on the Farmhouse Blog:

Daily Farm

If you would like to help support the overhead costs of this website, you may donate. Thank you!

Forum Buzz

Site Info

Privacy Policy, Disclosure, Disclaimer, and Terms of Use

Contact