Chickens in the Road Forum

A A A
Avatar

Please consider registering
guest

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —




— Match —





— Forum Options —





Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
What's for Dinner?
October 28, 2010
8:43 am
Avatar
LisaG
Hemlock, MI
Big Chicken
Members
Forum Posts: 23
Member Since:
October 24, 2010
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Today I'm going to throw a turkey in the oven. Meijers had them on sale for .89 on pound. Then for tommow, I take all the meat off and make turkey nuggets. Then I boil down the bones and leavings and make turkey soup with home made egg noodles. We'll be eating like kings for a few days!!!!

October 28, 2010
9:09 am
Avatar
hershiesgirl
Mighty Chicken
Members
Forum Posts: 294
Member Since:
August 24, 2010
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

MMMMMMmmmmm, one of my very favorite things about turkeys at holiday time, is the great opportunities they offer when its over. You are really cashing in!  :)   Jackie

October 28, 2010
3:28 pm
Avatar
farm maid
Big Chicken
Members
Forum Posts: 36
Member Since:
October 4, 2010
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

It's turkey for us, too.  I fixed a large turkey breast yesterday.  Last night, we had it with mashed potatoes and gravy, corn and rolls.  Today, it made for some yummy sandwiches.  We had chicken and homemade noodles last week, so we won't be having that.  But, we will enjoy a nice turkey pot pie.

I prefer to cook a turkey breast and have that for lunches instead of the dreaded lunchmeats.

October 28, 2010
4:07 pm
Avatar
Joelle
Superstar
Members
Forum Posts: 2753
Member Since:
April 1, 2009
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

We had stuffed pasta shells, salad and garlic bread, had to dine early, it is beggars night here and I will be outside for 2 hours--and it is cold and windy!!  I have to go, I have over 45 pounds of candy to hand out, minus the little snickers bars that is. I may have to have a cup of very hot coffee half way through--may be with a bit of that lovely vanilla that is working in the pantry!

  "Be kinder than necessary, everyone is fighting some sort of battle."

October 28, 2010
5:31 pm
Avatar
Paws_Bakery
Southern Ontario
Super Chicken
Members
Forum Posts: 810
Member Since:
October 14, 2010
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

JOJO said:

We had stuffed pasta shells, salad and garlic bread, had to dine early, it is beggars night here and I will be outside for 2 hours--and it is cold and windy!!  I have to go, I have over 45 pounds of candy to hand out, minus the little snickers bars that is. I may have to have a cup of very hot coffee half way through--may be with a bit of that lovely vanilla that is working in the pantry!


JoJo,

The vanilla will definitely help... (snickering over here ) You are brilliant to think about that!!

Hugs Cheryl   butterfly

October 28, 2010
8:41 pm
Avatar
Joelle
Superstar
Members
Forum Posts: 2753
Member Since:
April 1, 2009
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

  Cheryl--  it did!!

  "Be kinder than necessary, everyone is fighting some sort of battle."

October 29, 2010
1:28 pm
Avatar
Paws_Bakery
Southern Ontario
Super Chicken
Members
Forum Posts: 810
Member Since:
October 14, 2010
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

JOJO said:

  Cheryl--  it did!!


I was thinking about you last night and wondering how you made out     sun

Glad it worked...LOL

Hugs Cheryl   pawprint

October 29, 2010
1:36 pm
Avatar
Joelle
Superstar
Members
Forum Posts: 2753
Member Since:
April 1, 2009
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Cheryl– That vanilla coffee made me feel real warm–or was it the 3 pairs of thermal undies, what ever it was –I like beggars night!! My neighbor came down and I offered her a taste of my coffee, and she suggested that next year I have "vanilla coffee" for some of the adult beggars!

 I have a nice pot of beans with a couple of ham hocks going, —–will make some corn bread, and may be a nice cup of after dinner coffee!  As one Buckeye to another, you should drop by for a cup. wink

  "Be kinder than necessary, everyone is fighting some sort of battle."

October 29, 2010
4:05 pm
Avatar
Paws_Bakery
Southern Ontario
Super Chicken
Members
Forum Posts: 810
Member Since:
October 14, 2010
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

JOJO said:

Cheryl– That vanilla coffee made me feel real warm–or was it the 3 pairs of thermal undies, what ever it was –I like beggars night!! My neighbor came down and I offered her a taste of my coffee, and she suggested that next year I have "vanilla coffee" for some of the adult beggars!

 I have a nice pot of beans with a couple of ham hocks going, —–will make some corn bread, and may be a nice cup of after dinner coffee!  As one Buckeye to another, you should drop by for a cup. wink


Hmm stop by for a coffee...One it will be :) oh and cuppa too please...  Your pot of beans and ham hocks sounds good. 

I'm trying to think what I'll cook when I get to Steven's tonight, he won't get home for another couple hours after I arrive.  Wondering if I have time to put some squash in the oven and make some baked potatoes at the same time.  I might make some salsbury steaks if he has more of the caramelized onions and home made mushroom soup....  If I remember I can check to see if I have any more jars at home and bring a couple with me.

Packing up the 3 dogs and my stuff for the weekend doesn't always lend to remembering other stuff.  I'll just make do with whatever is in the freezer and the pantry.

Hugs Cheryl   pawprint

October 29, 2010
4:19 pm
Avatar
Joelle
Superstar
Members
Forum Posts: 2753
Member Since:
April 1, 2009
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

happy-flowerMy apologizes Cheryl--I don't know why I thought you are in Ohio--Ontario is not in Ohio is it? Of course not!! But you are always welcome!

   My Hubby was hungry for cornbread so it seemed to have been with them. I love the flavor of the smoked pork hocks.  Your dinner sound good as well. I hope you are off to a good  weekend  .

                                           

  "Be kinder than necessary, everyone is fighting some sort of battle."

October 29, 2010
4:19 pm
Avatar
Joelle
Superstar
Members
Forum Posts: 2753
Member Since:
April 1, 2009
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

happy-flower   Second try at my post---------My apologizes Cheryl–I don't know why I thought you are in Ohio–Ontario is not in Ohio is it? Of course not!! But you are always welcome!

   My Hubby was hungry for cornbread so it seemed  natural to have beans with it . I love the flavor of the smoked pork hocks.  Your dinner sound good as well. I hope you are off to a good  weekend  .

                                           

  "Be kinder than necessary, everyone is fighting some sort of battle."

October 29, 2010
4:23 pm
Avatar
Paws_Bakery
Southern Ontario
Super Chicken
Members
Forum Posts: 810
Member Since:
October 14, 2010
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

JOJO said:

happy-flowerMy apologizes Cheryl--I don't know why I thought you are in Ohio--Ontario is not in Ohio is it? Of course not!! But you are always welcome!

   My Hubby was hungry for cornbread so it seemed to have been with them. I love the flavor of the smoked pork hocks.  Your dinner sound good as well. I hope you are off to a good  weekend  .

                                           


Hey JoJo...

That's ok, I just figured it was a mix up, there are so many of us on here.  I may not be in Ohio, but I'm a neighbour...LOL

Do you make your cornbread sweeter?  Steven made it once and I just loved it... he wondered why... I don't normally eat a lot of sweets, but that cornbread was just a bit sweeter than he normally made it... you know he hasn't made it like that since :(  I need to remind him he needs to make some cornbread... now I'm thinking about baking some bread this weekend.

Have a great weekend!!!

Hugs Cheryl   pawprint

October 29, 2010
4:41 pm
Avatar
Helen
Super Chicken
Members
Forum Posts: 582
Member Since:
November 4, 2009
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Leftovers hole

George Orwell - 1984
- Orthodoxy means not thinking--not needing to think. Orthodoxy is unconsciousness.

October 29, 2010
4:58 pm
Avatar
Miss HomeEcs Daughter
Central Texas
Big Chicken
Members
Forum Posts: 90
Member Since:
August 30, 2010
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

At ChezBZ tonight we are having company....so...  Lasagna, salad and hot bread.  For dessert Pecan Cobbler.  YUM!   I like it when we have company!  french

 

Brenda

October 29, 2010
7:47 pm
Avatar
Joelle
Superstar
Members
Forum Posts: 2753
Member Since:
April 1, 2009
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Paws_Bakery said:

JOJO said:

happy-flowerMy apologizes Cheryl--I don't know why I thought you are in Ohio--Ontario is not in Ohio is it? Of course not!! But you are always welcome!

   My Hubby was hungry for cornbread so it seemed to have been with them. I love the flavor of the smoked pork hocks.  Your dinner sound good as well. I hope you are off to a good  weekend  .

                                           


Hey JoJo...
That's ok, I just figured it was a mix up, there are so many of us on here.  I may not be in Ohio, but I'm a neighbour...LOL

Do you make your cornbread sweeter?  Steven made it once and I just loved it... he wondered why... I don't normally eat a lot of sweets, but that cornbread was just a bit sweeter than he normally made it... you know he hasn't made it like that since :(  I need to remind him he needs to make some cornbread... now I'm thinking about baking some bread this weekend.

Have a great weekend!!!

Hugs Cheryl   pawprint


happy-flowerCheryl--I do make my corn bread a bit sweeter than called for, we like it that way too. I could send you some! yes I also made butter this week, I will send some of that too!

       I usually bake bread on Friday, but worked outside blowing leaves and cutting them up with the tractor, probably have to do that at least one more time, so I will make the bread tomorrow, plus give Hubby a haircut, maybe make a cake of some sort. Then, just relax for the rest of the day--maybe.

                        Take care,

                                 JO

  "Be kinder than necessary, everyone is fighting some sort of battle."

October 30, 2010
8:27 am
Avatar
Paws_Bakery
Southern Ontario
Super Chicken
Members
Forum Posts: 810
Member Since:
October 14, 2010
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

JOJO said:

 

happy-flowerCheryl--I do make my corn bread a bit sweeter than called for, we like it that way too. I could send you some! yes I also made butter this week, I will send some of that too!
 

       I usually bake bread on Friday, but worked outside blowing leaves and cutting them up with the tractor, probably have to do that at least one more time, so I will make the bread tomorrow, plus give Hubby a haircut, maybe make a cake of some sort. Then, just relax for the rest of the day--maybe.

                        Take care,

                                 JO


JoJo,

I'm in Waterford this weekend and waiting for the food..LOL  When I got here last night I had caught a big chill and I was thinking of your coffee and vanilla.   happy-flower   

I ended up making butternut and some other squash, it was good to heat up the house with the oven on last night.  Since I was making up a gravy with tons of onions in it I decided to make baked potatoes with garlic.  I cut them in half and put a tiny bit of oil and then some pre-chopped garlic, wrapped them up and in the oven they went.  They slow cooked for 2 hours... they were yummy.  Ok we both love lots of onions and garlic. 

Beef cooked in the mixture of two large sauted sweet onions, I used canned cream of mushroom soup and thinned it out with soya milk. Your cornbread would have been good with all this.

Not sure on what I'm doing today yet... Steven's working and won't get home until about 8:45 pm.  It's suppose to warm up to the 60's this afternoon so may sit outside and peel some of the black walnuts.  Not sure what's for dinner yet... I have 12 hours before it needs to be on the table

Hugs Chery  l  smiley-puppy

November 2, 2010
7:11 am
Avatar
becky3086
Thomson, GA
Big Chicken
Members
Forum Posts: 69
Member Since:
July 16, 2010
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Geez! How do I know? LOL, I guess I should go look in the freezer and see what there is. Probably spaghetti.

November 2, 2010
7:29 am
Avatar
farm maid
Big Chicken
Members
Forum Posts: 36
Member Since:
October 4, 2010
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Miss HomeEcs Daughter said:

At ChezBZ tonight we are having company....so...  Lasagna, salad and hot bread.  For dessert Pecan Cobbler.  YUM!   I like it when we have company!  french

 

Brenda


Pecan Cobbler sounds yummy.
November 2, 2010
11:51 am
Avatar
BuckeyeGirl
N.E. Ohio
Admin
Forum Posts: 4921
Member Since:
February 10, 2009
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

We're having breakfast for supper tonight. 

I will get a pot of chili on tomorrow, I origianlly planned on it for today, but Pop wants breakfast and he rarely states a preference so he's getting his choice today! 

Bacon AND sausage and eggs, maybe a couple whole wheat pancakes with real syrup since his sugar has been on track. 

Located in N.E. Ohio

November 2, 2010
2:03 pm
Avatar
Paws_Bakery
Southern Ontario
Super Chicken
Members
Forum Posts: 810
Member Since:
October 14, 2010
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Buckeye,

Sounds like you're spoiling him!!! I'm sure dinner will be delicious and he's going to enjoy it!

Hugs Cheryl   smiley-puppy

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 183

Currently Online:
27 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
2 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Joelle: 2753

Leahld22: 2738

Ross: 2426

MaryB: 1783

JeannieB: 1500

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 15

Members: 10320

Moderators: 3

Admins: 4

Forum Stats:

Groups: 1

Forums: 14

Topics: 3494

Posts: 67371

Newest Members:

cthutqpludge, Auridorainsenda, dbnfkbzinsenda, Chileleinsenda, gjkzifpludge, costainsenda

Moderators: Pete: 8497, wvhomecanner: 3159, Flatlander: 1643

Administrators: Suzanne McMinn: 7368, emiline220: 16, CindyP: 7942, BuckeyeGirl: 4921





Sign up for the Chickens in the Road Newsletter





Sections

  1. The Farmhouse Blog
  2. The Chickens in the Road Forum
  3. Farm Bell Recipes

Latest Posts on the Farmhouse Blog:

Daily Farm






If you would like to help support the overhead costs of this website, you may donate. Thank you!


Forum Buzz



Site Info

Privacy Policy, Disclosure, Disclaimer, and Terms of Use

Contact