Out with the old, in with the new!
The big flower gardens all around the front porch and to the side of the studio looked really nice when I got here. Roses and butterfly bushes and daffodils, irises, and so on. Lovely! The previous owners were members of a garden club and did garden tours.
This is how the front gardens ended up after putting up with me for three years. Oh, how the flowers missed the previous owners! Alas, these gardens just weren’t for me. Sometimes, no matter how beautiful something may be, it’s just not a fit for your lifestyle. I knew the gardens had to be re-made for me. And everything was kinda dead anyway.
Certain individuals are responsible for the death of the roses.
But let’s not name any names.
Especially since I’m pretty sure I’m also responsible for this mess in the studio garden.
I’ve enjoyed the weeds and wildflowers, picking them for arrangements in the house, for the past few years, and the goats have certainly enjoyed the roses. But. It’s time to do something about this wreckage.
First, I got the goats contained in new fencing in a new field.
Then I got some help. Because this is going to be a big project.
I decided the best way for me to be able to maintain the front gardens was to minimize them. They’re way too big for me to manage. The gardens are framed with rocks, so I had the rocks dug up and moved. The garden areas to the sides of the porch were taken out completely–I’ll just be mowing there now. The front areas were pushed back a few feet.
Now I have much smaller gardens to manage.
For now, the weeds were just trimmed down, and I’ll start fresh with my reduced flower gardens in the spring.
The large garden to the side of the studio can’t be reduced, so it needed a different plan.
Everything was either trimmed down or pulled out to start, and next plastic will be going down and then box containers built and installed. Rock will be put down over the plastic. This will reduce my weeding problem here. And I will have a place to grow vegetables next spring!
This is all still in-progress, but should be completed in the next week or so. I’ll update with more photos then. I’m actually, finally, looking forward to gardening here next year!