My living room suddenly turned into a disaster area when I decided to do something about the fact that the space just doesn’t work when I have a houseful. Here’s a photo from several months ago that shows how I’ve had it set up since I moved in here:
This works for me and Morgan, and I mostly liked how it looked, though there were a few problem areas. But when there are more people in the house, there’s not enough seating.
I had a bit more seating in the adjoining “kitchen den” with a loveseat (which folds out to a sleeper).
Another view. This photo is so old, that’s Coco who is inside, not Gwennie.
In the kitchen den, there is also a small kitchen table and chairs.
Despite this extra seating in the adjoining room, it still wasn’t working because everyone couldn’t be together in the same room.
So, on the fly, at about 9 o’clock the other night, I started rearranging furniture and things ended up like this (a few different views, and that’s Casper inside because it was “hunting morning” here):
(You can see that Weston spent hunting morning on the couch.)
I fussed around and fussed around, and am still not completely satisfied, but will keep working on it. Part of the problem in arranging it to my satisfaction is that there is a lot of extra stuff in the room right now due to the extra people in the house. (That is not a bad problem, but a good one.) I’ll fuss some more with it at a later point.
Morwen-the-rat is living in my living room right now, too, by the way.
I didn’t realize the rat was just a baby last summer. It’s MUCH BIGGER now!
And this skull thing only makes the rat creepier.
Having moved the loveseat into the living room, this does open up a space in the “kitchen den” where I might put a freestanding wood stove. The coat tree, which I shoved in there where the loveseat used to be, was a cheap one and is starting to fall apart, so it’s going to go.)
Casper and Gwennie howling at the sound of gunfire outside.
Update on the Buck Stove–I figured out how to make the blower work! It wasn’t a matter of getting the fire hot enough. There was a knob. It was a kind of hidden knob. Turn it, and the blower works. (Duh, Suzanne!) I was so glad I found that for myself before someone else (particularly a man) showed it to me.
The remaining problem with the Buck Stove, now that I can make it throw heat, is that the insert is so tiny. Very little wood can be put in there. I’ll be having my “wood stove man” out here next week, I hope, and will discuss the Buck Stove and possible replacement for it with something larger (since the actual fireplace opening is actually quite a bit bigger) and about the feasibility of a freestanding wood stove (that is also a cook stove) in the “kitchen den” room.
Morgan objected to the entire rearrangement because she thinks the living room is too crowded now. I told her it was cozy, inviting, and conversational. It is a small living room (hence the problem with enough seating). I don’t think the rectangular ottoman works now, so I might have to switch that out, but otherwise, the new design was free, using existing pieces. It’s an interesting challenge, and a purposeful one in redesigning the space into what will better suit my needs.
Hard to believe that as of this week, I’ve been in this house for a year–long enough to be time for a change!