In case you don’t know what happens when you put a metal can in the microwave, WHICH MY DAUGHTER DID YESTERDAY, it catches FIRE.

And oddly, while my microwave was flaming, I thought–should I get the digital camera and take a picture for my blog???


  1. TeresaH says:

    So which did you do first, put it out or take pictures? Since there are no pics here, I’m guessing you put it out! *G* But seriously, how scary though!!! :shocked:

  2. Michelle says:

    Wow. When I was a kid, I did put a plate in the microwave that had a metal rim. Scared me to death when I saw it sparking. Guess your daughter won’t forget this event! :relieved:

  3. Cheryl S. says:

    That was my first thought — where’s OUR picture? :rotfl: Seriously, though, hope everyone and everything is all right now.

  4. Lynn Daniels says:

    Ack! That’ll wake you up, won’t it? I’m kind of disappointed there are no pictures. No more slacking on the job, Suzanne! :rotfl:

    We have a little metal-ish plate on one of our microwave walls. Apparently some grease or butter or something got *behind* that plate, so it didn’t get cleaned.

    LittleDude goes to make popcorn the other day, microwave makes weird noise, sparks fly around inside, LittleDude runs screaming from the room with tears streaming down his face.

    I calm LittleDude, and when SoundGuy comes home, I tell him we need to replace the microwave. It’s growling and sparking. SoundGuy reaches into the microwave, pulls metal-ish plate out, cleans it, puts it back. Voila! No more growling and sparking.

    Humph! Nobody told *me* you could actually take the darned microwave apart! :shocked:

  5. Toni Anderson says:

    Exactly the same thing happened to my neighbor on Sunday, except their daughter is 20!!! :shocked:

  6. kacey says:

    LOL! Well, did you at least get a brand spanking new microwave out of it…my microwave is so old…I keep thinking one of my full grown kids will put something metal in it, just so I can replace it…

  7. Eve says:

    I’m with everyone else – where’s our picture?
    You know, I wondered what would happen – thanks for letting us know.

  8. Melissa Mc says:

    Picture please. I want to see the picture!

  9. Jill says:

    Camera. Always go for the camera.

  10. Angie says:

    And you also have to be really careful with those sandwich wrappers favored by Arby’s. You know, the ones that have the shiny outside? My 16 year old son found out the hard way that those wrappers function just like aluminum foil when exposed to microwaves…:rolleyes:
    They do, however, emit really cool greenish tinted flames…:rotfl:

  11. Mary Stella says:

    I did the same thing when I arrived home one night to find a house on my street burning. The fire department was already there, so I ran inside and grabbed a camera. (I worked for a radio and newspaper at the time.) Last year, I was going through my bank’s drive-thru ATM when it appeared as if the cops were staking out the bank for a possible robbery. Did I high-tail it out of there? Of course not. I drove across the street, out of the way, and called my reporter friend. If I’d had a blog at the time, you can bet I would have taken pictures, too!

  12. Kelly says:

    Whoa! I’m bad with kitchen fires. I freak out big time. :yes:

  13. Lori says:

    Glad to hear everything is okay. I’ve only had sparks for a mug – which must have had metal somewhere on it.

    How is your daughter doing?

    Lori 🙂

  14. Tori says:

    Is the kiddo still among the living? :rotfl:

  15. Estella says:

    A friend put a bowl with a goldish rim in my microwave and there was the prettiest purple light and a boom and one wall of the microwave blew to the inside of the miceowave. Once is enough–thank you—no more dinnerware with goldish rims.:no:

  16. Carol says:

    I need a new microwave. I think your daughter should have a talk with one of my grandchildren! lol I’m glad no one got hurt!

  17. Danica says:

    I am so disappointed in you-no pictures!

    My brother did that once. I think he also had an animal of some sort in there, so be thankful. 🙂

  18. Teresa says:

    And I was searching for the picture. But wow, that had to be a sight. I think after I made sure dd was ok I probably would have been cracking up.:rotfl:

  19. Gina says:

    I did something similar over the summer. I put in an Arby’s sandwich to warm – wrapper and all – and it caught fire. The wrapper looked like that wax paper wrapping, but it turned out to be foil. Caught it soon after the first spark, so all was well.

  20. ruby55 says:

    Oh, Suzanne! 😳 Here we are and we’re all disappointed that we don’t have a picture of the pyrotechnics that occur when a whole metal *can* is put in the microwave. We’ve seen sparks from trim but never a fire from a can. How disappointing.:no:

    😀 Now don’t let your daughter think she has to try it again. After all, she is supposed to and will learn from this experience. It must have scared her half to death. It’s certain not to fade from her memory too quickly.

    See how ingrained pictures and blogs are in your psyche. BTW, does it really burn and melt the can or what happens? Hey, just asking someone with experience. I don’t want to try it myself, thank you very much.:thumbsdown:

  21. Suzanne says:

    The can really burst into flames!!!! I shut the microwave door and waited for it to go out (thought it would help to deprive it of fresh air). When it went out, I still didn’t trust it and I threw a glass of water into the microwave, then took the can out. And the microwave still works, so it didn’t ruin it. Too bad. I wanted a new one!