Yesterday’s PAX t-shirt winner: Carol! (Email me!)
Now, on to today’s giveaway……….but first:
Are you a book collector? I would have said no to that question until I read this article. I do, and have done, many of the behaviors mentioned in this article, and more that are not mentioned!
1. I have thrown a fit when someone has either thrown out/given away or TRIED to get ME to throw out/give away my books.
2. I have scoured bookstores and the internet for certain books, particularly from a series where I don’t have all the books, or for past releases by a favorite author.
3. I reread favorite books.
4. I hang on to books for sentimental reasons even if I don’t plan to reread them.
5. Books have been a lifelong love/obsession for me and I just like to be around books, in the same room with them.
6. I use an inordinate amount of space in my house to keep books and there are books in every room of my house.
7. I prefer original editions of books over reprints.
8. There are certain books I won’t even loan out because the chance that I wouldn’t get it back is too big a risk.
9. I have a number of autographed books on my shelves.
10. I keep my books organized by author or series line and know where everything is even if it looks like my books are a mess. I know exactly what I have!
Apparently, I’m a book collector! I tend to think of any type of collector as a crazy person, like those people who go to Star Wars conventions dressed like a Wookie. But I am one of them! I am a book wookie!
Hey, it’s not so bad. It can pay off. I noticed on ebay yesterday that a copy of Suzanne Brockmann’s Ladies’ Man was being auctioned for as much as $1000!!! Ladies’ Man was a Loveswept distributed to mail-order subscribers only, making it a rare find and a valuable collectible. You can find all sorts of books, many of them autographed, on ebay, making it a great source for collectors, albeit an expensive source for some books.
An autographed copy of Promise Me Tomorrow by Nora Roberts is going for around $30 right now. This got me thinking….since I’m not only a book wookie, I’m an author myself, what about me??? Sigh. I’m not Nora. Yet. There is a copy of my first medieval, My Lady Imposter, going for $1.99 on ebay right now. DON’T THEY REALIZE My Lady Knight is the rarer find? And it’s not even on ebay! By the time My Lady Knight was released, they had already decided to close the Zebra Ballad Historicals line and they printed fewer copies of that book as they had already scaled back their distribution. (If you have a copy of My Lady Knight, remember that!)
So, for today’s giveaway………… For you book wookies out there, I’m giving away copies of Never Say Goodbye. Never Say Goodbye was published as a Meteor Kismet Romance. The books were only sold through mail order (like Ladies’ Man ) making it a rare book from the get-go as the distribution was small. It was my first published novel, and the publishing house closed down shortly afterward. The copyright was returned to me, so it can’t be reprinted without my permission (and trust me, I’ll never give that….. LOL). Maybe it’ll be worth $1000 on ebay someday! Hey, a girl can dream!!!
To win an autographed copy of Never Say Goodbye, you just have to do two things. One, of course, is to hit the Contact button in the menu bar above and send me your address. Please put “Never Say Goodbye” in the subject line of the email. And two, post a comment here. Tell me if you’re a book collector, and what makes you think of yourself as a book collector. What got you started in book collecting? Do you exhibit some or all of the ten collector behaviors I mentioned above? If you want the book, you have to do both. If you don’t want a book (or already have it), please still leave a comment here anyway about your book collecting habits because I want to hear about it!
Hello, my name is Suzanne and I’m a book wookie…. Are you?
(And come back tomorrow for a new PAX mug contest!!)