Called 1974 Fruitcake because that was when the recipe was published in the local paper. I’ve tweaked it a bit (using my dried figs for one) and even fruitcake haters here love it.
Servings: easily a dozenPrep Time: a couple hours total Cook Time: 90 minutes
2 cups sifted flour
1 cup sugar
2 Tablespoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 pound candied cherries
1/2 pound candied pineapple, cut up
1/2 pound dried figs (plumped in apple brandy)
1 pound raisins
1 pound pecans, coarsely chopped
1. Add about 1 cup brandy to figs, allow to plump.
2. Heat oven to 275°F. Sift flour, measure into bowl. Add baking
powder and salt. Mix well.
3. In a bowl beat eggs until frothy. Gradually beat in sugar. Add
egg mixture to all the fruit (drain the figs first). Stir in pecans.
4. Grease brown paper and line 1 large round tube pan or two 9×5 x3 loaf pans (I used greased parchment paper in a tube pan). Press cake mixture firmly into pan or pans.
5. Bake 90 minutes or until done (in my case about 105 minutes).Let cool in pan.
6. Once completely cool remove from pan and wrap in cloth soaked with more of the apple
brandy and wrap the bundle in aluminum foil.
Did you make this recipe? Share your photo here:
Make sure the page has finished loading before you upload a photo.
Max photo size is 512KB. The best size to upload is 500 x 375 pixels.
By uploading a photo, you attest that this photo belongs to you. If you are uploading a photo that does not belong to you, please provide documentation that you have permission to use the photo to FBRblog(at)yahoo.com or the photo will not be approved.