Cookies are rolled in crushed cornflakes and then topped with a quarter of, or moon shaped piece of a maraschino cherry, thus the term “wink.” Since it is rolled in cereal, it could even be classified as a “breakfast cookie”.
Servings: 30-36Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 10-12 minutes
3/4 cup shortening
1 cup white sugar
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup pecans, chopped
1 cup dates, pitted and chopped
1/3 cup maraschino cherries,chopped
2 1/2 cups crushed cornflakes cereal
10 maraschino cherries, quartered
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease baking sheets.
2. Cream the shortening with the sugar. Blend in the eggs, milk and vanilla.
3. Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in the chopped pecans,chopped dates and 1/3 cup chopped maraschino cherries.
4. Shape teaspoonful sized chunks of dough into balls. Roll each ball in the crushed corn flakes. Place the balls on the prepared baking sheets and top each cookie with 1/4 maraschino cherry.
5. Bake at 375 degrees F for 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool completely before storing in airtight containers.
Tags: Christmas Cookie
Did you make this recipe? Share your photo here:
Make sure the page has finished loading before you upload a photo.
Max photo size is 512KB. The best size to upload is 500 x 375 pixels.
By uploading a photo, you attest that this photo belongs to you. If you are uploading a photo that does not belong to you, please provide documentation that you have permission to use the photo to FBRblog(at)yahoo.com or the photo will not be approved.