A recipe to recreate a favorite Sunday morning tradition in my house.
Servings: 6Prep Time: 30 minutes, not counting rise time Cook Time: 20-25 minutes
1 cup warm water
1 tablespoon yeast
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon baking soda
1. Stir together 1 cup of warm water, 1 tablespoon of yeast, and 2 tablespoons of brown sugar.
2. Let the mixture rise for about five minutes, until foamy, and add 2 1/4 cups of the all-purpose flour and the 3/4 cup of wheat flour. Mix on low until all of the flour is incorporated.
3. On a well-floured counter, knead about 1/2 cup more all-purpose flour into the dough until it is no longer sticky. Place in a greased bowl and let rise on the counter, covered with a towel, until doubled in size.
4. Knead dough for a couple of minutes. Cut into six equal pieces and roll into balls. Poke a hole in the center and stretch each out into bagel-like shapes.
5. Bring a large pot of water to a boil, take down to a simmer, and add 1 tablespoon of baking soda. Poach each bagel for 2 minutes per side, set on paper plate to drain, then place on a baking sheet with some cornmeal on the bottom.
6. Bake at 400 degrees for around 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
Did you make this recipe? Share your photo here:
Make sure the page has finished loading before you upload a photo.
Max photo size is 512KB. The best size to upload is 500 x 375 pixels.
By uploading a photo, you attest that this photo belongs to you. If you are uploading a photo that does not belong to you, please provide documentation that you have permission to use the photo to FBRblog(at)yahoo.com or the photo will not be approved.