A great way to use up all those fresh tomatoes! I usually make one a week in the summer!
Servings: 15, 3 inch squaresPrep Time: 30 Cook Time: 30
1 recipe for double crust pie or 2 store bought pie crusts
1 pkg sausage
8 fresh slicing tomatoes or any assortment, chopped or diced, seeded and patted dry (or you can just chop them)
1/2 cup bread crumbs (optional)
1 cup mayo, sour cream or plain yogurt
1/2 cup mozzerella shredded cheese
1/2 cup sharp cheddar shredded cheese
1 pkg bacon bits or home made bacon bits
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1) Thaw store bought crusts or prepare recipe for double crust.
2) Arrange crusts in a jelly roll pan so that the surface and edges are covered. You might have to do some creative cutting and smushing if you are using store bought crusts. (I like to use an oil based crust and just press it down into the jelly roll pan.)
3) Cook sausage, reserving drippings, crumble sausage and set aside to cool.
4) Paint crust with sausage drippings and cook crust 10 mins at 350 degrees.
5) Layer chopped tomato pieces over cooked crust. *If you are using unseeded tomato pieces, add a layer of half cup bread crumbs over your tomato pieces to soak up the juice.
6) Layer crumbled sausage over tomato pieces.
7) In a separate bowl, combine mayo/sour cream/yogurt with cheese and bacon bits and stir to combine them.
8) Evenly spread cheese mixture over the top of the sausage or bread crumb layer. (I just use my hands).
9) Top cheese layer with basil and oregano.
10) Bake at 350 for 20-30 mins or until edges of crust are lightly browned and topping is firm.
Did you make this recipe? Share your photo here:
Make sure the page has finished loading before you upload a photo.
Max photo size is 512KB. The best size to upload is 500 x 375 pixels.
By uploading a photo, you attest that this photo belongs to you. If you are uploading a photo that does not belong to you, please provide documentation that you have permission to use the photo to FBRblog(at)yahoo.com or the photo will not be approved.