A A A

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
What are you doing with your day?
December 6, 2013
6:42 pm
yvonnem
Big Chicken
Members
Forum Posts: 26
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
2841sp_Permalink sp_Print

Puppies!!!  I love puppies, what breed?  You need to post a pic! 

Glad your leak was an easy fix, I hate plumbing problems!  Dreading the day we have to deal with something major…which I’m sure will happen eventually.

December 8, 2013
3:53 pm
Squeegees Mom
South Texas
Mighty Chicken
Members
Forum Posts: 458
2842sp_Permalink sp_Print

Making draft snakes for our doors. Our old house has settled some this year, and  the colder weather is creeping in under the doors. I am filling them with clean play sand. I figured if I used rice or beans, I would end up feeding all the mice in the neighborhood. FREE! Buffet, all you can eat! eating

December 10, 2013
8:55 am
proud mountaineer
WV
Big Chicken
Members
Forum Posts: 26
2843sp_Permalink sp_Print

I’m looking at cookie recipes for the annual family cookie swap. I’m also wondering about BuckeyeGirl. I haven’t seen her posting lately does anyone know why? Hope she’s doing alright.

December 10, 2013
2:09 pm
Pete
WV
Moderators
Forum Posts: 8497
2844sp_Permalink sp_Print

BuckeyeGirl is fine, but very busy right now.  She stops by frequently, though.

Anulos qui animum ostendunt omnes gestemus!

December 10, 2013
8:23 pm
TerryMcC
Saxonburg, PA
Big Chicken
Members
Forum Posts: 28
2845sp_Permalink sp_Print

Well maybe it just wasn’t today, but the past couple of days,,lol.  Had to make room in the freezer for my sons deer he got.  Happen to be a very proud mama, his first and it was a 6 pt.!!  So had to take out 60 lbs of peaches, thawed and am making peach wine out of those.  Already canned quite a bit this past summer and was running low on the peach wine I made last year.  Then I had a lot of blueberries, took out approx. 6 to 7 lbs of those and figured I would try to make homemade blueberry syrup.  I have never made this before but with reading and gaining more canning experience here I decided why not? what did I have to lose but some blueberries and there were still some more in the freezer if it didn’t turn out.  Well let me tell you not only did it turn out but had them over some pancakes this morning and the syrup was great!! Glad I made 21 half pints! 1 half pint works for one breakfast here.  Hubby thought it was so good that he had to take 2 jars with him this evening when he and his friend headed to the mountains to hunt. Now just waiting for the sauerkraut to finish doing its thing and get that canned. I am also thinking with the remaining blueberries I just might make some jelly too.  Always nice to have a freezer full of the things you have grown, gotten from neighborhood farmers and your son, kinda warms the heart especially during this frigid spell we are having.

December 11, 2013
7:59 pm
Squeegees Mom
South Texas
Mighty Chicken
Members
2846sp_Permalink sp_Print

Wow, wish we had to make room in our freezer for a deer! Haven’t had venison in ages.

We will be helping my husband’s aunt celebrate her 90th birthday soon. (Christmas Eve) Her daughters are so clever! They are requesting family and friends to please send at least a card, and if possible, send 90 somethings to help her celebrate her birthday that is frequently overshadowed by Christmas. The 90 “things” don’t need to be expensive, but silly is encouraged.  We went to a small toy shop that has a wall of plastic fish bowls filled with little toys that you might buy for birthday souvenirs. Most everything is priced one cent, five cents, ten cents and a quarter. We had so much fun picking out 90 “things”. And then we had to hit the card store. That is always fun reading the cards. We had the clerk giggling along with us. She did not have any customers, except us, so she was helping us find the perfect card. Just a fun day, and for such a wonderful lady!

December 12, 2013
2:45 pm
Joelle
Superstar
Members
Forum Posts: 2776
2847sp_Permalink sp_Print

Took a ride into the city today to our favorite Kosher deli and had lunch and brought home a bag of bagels, they have the best bagels ever! Of course we had to bring home a few other things from the deli—yum.

"Be kinder than necessary, everyone is fighting some sort of battle."

December 13, 2013
8:03 pm
Pete
WV
Moderators
2848sp_Permalink sp_Print

Spent a good part of the day denying that a cold was coming on.  Yep, seems like one of those pesky things found me.  After taking some cold medicine, don’t really feel too bad now.  (Funny how that works!)

December 19, 2013
3:37 pm
Joelle
Superstar
Members
2849sp_Permalink sp_Print

Spent the last 2 days cleaning the basement, had not planned on that, but the hot water heater had other other plans, now everything is done and back in place and all nice and clean, I had planned on saving that fun job for after the holidays. Back to thinking Christmas.

December 22, 2013
9:14 am
mamajoseph
Kenya
Super Chicken
Members
Forum Posts: 631
2850sp_Permalink sp_Print

Waiting and praying for our Christmas company. Friends are traveling from the city today and they’ve had car trouble. Been broken down on the side of the road for about 6 hours now. They will now have to be driving in the African bush, middle-of-nowhere after dark. DH is going to meet them in a bit, but if you are the praying type, we would appreciate prayers for safety in this journey.

I (sorta) have a farm in Africa.

December 22, 2013
11:11 am
mamajhk
South Central Kansas
Super Chicken
Members
Forum Posts: 984
2851sp_Permalink sp_Print

Wrapping Christmas presents and enjoying the winter wonderland outside (we got 3+inches last night on top of ice).  Will have to go out later today.

January 1, 2014
9:06 pm
Squeegees Mom
South Texas
Mighty Chicken
Members
2852sp_Permalink sp_Print

I took the tree down today. And as usual, I managed to lose the last spun glass heart ornament. I have 18 of them. Every year I manage to lose the 18th one in the tree. I don’t find it until the tree is completely undecorated. You would think I would wise up and take the spun glass hearts off last, so I can’t lose the last one. But I never think about it…until I cannot find the darn thing.

I am thinking Lo Jack or GPS chips for next year. smile

January 3, 2014
8:41 am
Joelle
Superstar
Members
2853sp_Permalink sp_Print

happy-flower

Plowing and shoveling and then shoveling and plowing! Lots of snow and blowing winds created a lot of drifting–more on the way!

Storing away the last of the holiday day decorations, except for one tree in my sitting room—just not ready yet, I really enjoy it in the evening, a few more day and then I will say goodbye till next year.

January 3, 2014
1:21 pm
holstein woman
Yankton, (St. Helens)Oregon
Mighty Chicken
Members
Forum Posts: 187
2854sp_Permalink sp_Print

Actually, I have no idea. If you had asked yesterday or the day before I could have given you a rundown for a weeks work in 1 day. Today I have no plans. I did feed all the animals including the house two legger (hubby).

January 5, 2014
12:54 pm
Pete
WV
Moderators
2855sp_Permalink sp_Print

Interesting experiment going on here.  We lost our elderly rooster, buried him yesterday, and are reintroducing the hen that stayed with him the past almost-a-year to the rest of the flock.  So far, so good.

The young rooster has chased her around some, but the other hens are leaving her alone.  It looks like she will go back to the flock.  Will keep a close eye on all of them the rest of the day as they free range in the melting snow.

The rooster we lost was our original chicken.  He was a grand fellow, but we had to separate him from the young rooster early last year.  This hen chose to remain with him.  She was always something of a loner.  It will be very nice if she rejoins the others, but we can keep her isolated from them if need be.

Yes, our chickens are pets!  They are fun to watch.  We have not looked forward to the day we lost our original roo, but knew that it was coming.  We are grateful that the old guy died peacefully in his sleep.

January 7, 2014
11:10 am
Joelle
Superstar
Members
2856sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hello Pete, so sorry to hear that you lost your pet, that is alway difficult. It is  a blessing that he just went in his sleep, that is something that all of us pet owners hope for.

January 7, 2014
9:34 pm
Pete
WV
Moderators
2857sp_Permalink sp_Print

The good news is that the transition back to a single flock was easy!  We were especially worried since it was so cold that they all needed to stay inside.  Together.  At least tomorrow should be significantly warmer, and they can all go outside.  Hurray!

Today was just sitting around, staying warm.  Nothing special.  But, tending to all the critters is tiring in this cold, so have not pushed beyond taking care of all the pets.  It seems to take forever to bundle up!  Then walking around outside, while fun, at this age is not as easy as it used to be.  Brrrrr.

It’s supposed to start warming up around midnight tonight.  The porch thermometer says 9 degrees right now.

January 10, 2014
3:38 pm
Pete
WV
Moderators
2858sp_Permalink sp_Print

So the challenge of the day is the water situation.  We have water, but are under orders to only use it for flushing. 

Does anyone have any idea how many times each day we turn on a faucet without even thinking about it???  Have slapped my own hands at least a bazillion times today, and it is a good thing that this stuff in our water is not really toxic because I have washed my hands several times without conscious thought.

Oh, well.  Some day soon we maybe will be back to normal programming?  I really don’t want to complain because right now we are having a heat wave, which helps for dipping water from the creek for the critters.

Are we having fun yet?  I really need to know.     happy-flower 

January 11, 2014
5:17 am
bonita
north east IL
Super Chicken
Members
Forum Posts: 748
2859sp_Permalink sp_Print

Pete: I was wondering what folks with pets/animals/farm animals can do vis a vis contaminated water. Glad you have a spring and that the temps moved up a bit. Do you have to go far to get the bottled water they’re distributing? Saw where one family put a sock on each the faucet as a help to remember not to use. Any family/friends near enough for baths/showers? The more I hear about it, the more it sounds like a profound aggravation.

(I’ve been w/o running water for 3 da and am at the end of my rope, but I know that it will only be another day or two…I can see the progress on the breaks in the water main from my window. Knowing the end is near is helpful.)

But, I don’t think we are having fun yet.

Save the Earth. It's the only planet with chocolate.

January 11, 2014
9:37 am
Pete
WV
Moderators
2860sp_Permalink sp_Print

Water is not an issue for us, so have only anecdotal stories about what is happening at the distribution centers.  They do not sound like a place I want to play!  And yes, we have family close enough that when taking a shower becomes necessary, we can drive to their house.

We also keep a stock of baby wipes here for just this sort of occasion, so are not filthy yet.

Our critters are drinking bottled water with us, but it rained enough yesterday and today that they actually have more rainwater than bottled at the moment.

For people like our closest neighbor, laundry is the big thing now.  Their daughter has a newborn preemie temporarily with them.  They both require a LOT of care.  Otherwise, they were also prepared for this – but having a baby, delivered early because of the health of the mother cannot be planned for.  At least her husband is great help to have around.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 377

Currently Online:
20 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Joelle: 2776

Leahld22: 2738

Ross: 2426

MaryB: 1783

JeannieB: 1500

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 15

Members: 24093

Moderators: 3

Admins: 4

Forum Stats:

Groups: 1

Forums: 14

Topics: 3499

Newest Members:

TylerSnurn, stefanie38s15, Anrizex, JuliaBep, Robertkep, ivorye47651241

Moderators: Pete: 8497, wvhomecanner: 3159, Flatlander: 1643

Administrators: Suzanne McMinn: 7368, emiline220: 16, CindyP: 7942, BuckeyeGirl: 4921

Sections

1. The Farmhouse Blog
  2. The Chickens in the Road Forum
  3. Farm Bell Recipes

Latest Posts on the Farmhouse Blog:

Daily Farm

If you would like to help support the overhead costs of this website, you may donate. Thank you!

Forum Buzz

Site Info

Privacy Policy, Disclosure, Disclaimer, and Terms of Use

Contact