A A A

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
What are you doing with your day?
January 12, 2014
9:40 am
Joelle
Superstar
Members
Forum Posts: 2776
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
2861sp_Permalink sp_Print

I do beleive that this has been one of the more despressing Winters that I can remember, the cold has made so many problems for folks as well as the animals, the water issues amoung the worst. Such small amounts of sunshine makes everything so dark and gray, I dont know how the folks in Alaska cope, but I suppose they adapt to thier surrounding.

Today I am dipping light bulds, I really like the silicone dipped lights but dont care for the price, so I purchased a good amount of the 7 watt bulbs and am dipping them today. I use them in my window candles and on one of the trees at Christmas. 

"Be kinder than necessary, everyone is fighting some sort of battle."

January 26, 2014
1:17 pm
Joelle
Superstar
Members
2862sp_Permalink sp_Print

Today we are shoveling and plowing snow–then we shoveled and plowed agaig, we had areas of snow that were 20 inches deep from the drifing–more on the way for the next 2 days. 

Spring—where art thou??

January 28, 2014
12:37 pm
Joelle
Superstar
Members
2863sp_Permalink sp_Print

This morning the temps were -13, very cold! It is to be extremely cold today and tonight with the wind, the chill factor will be near -45 to -50.

While cleaning our out downstairs pantry I found 2 lage containers of peanut butter that Hubby purchased a couple years ago when a peanit butter shortage was perdicted –they are store brands, and since I am the only one that eats peanut butter in our home, I only purchase only a certain brand, —and it ia not what we had in the pantry, it was also outdated so I didnt want to donate it.

I ended up setting it outside for a short time until it was very solid, then took my drill and drilled the plastic conatiner full of holes. I took a small dowel stick and put some small pices in several of the holes for the birds to rest on, took the lid and made 2 holes and ran a wire through and attached a hook made from a old coat hanger, took it outside and hung it in a tree, it didnt  take long for the birds to find it, they are happy and I feel good that I found a use for the old peanut butter. snuggle

February 15, 2014
2:40 pm
Runningtrails - Sheryl
Barrie, Ontario
Mighty Chicken
Members
Forum Posts: 459
2864sp_Permalink sp_Print

That’s a great use for old peanut butter! The birds will love it!

I cleaned up two quad loads of pruned juniper branches then went for a run…on clear dry sidewalk and path. Amazing that spring is here in Feb! Then ate and did laundry.

The rest of my day will be filled with working on a painting and shopping for wine making supplies and maybe cleaning up more juniper branches. That was a huge pruning job – took me weeks to get it all done!

Next up…pruning the 14′ pyramedial cedar hedges an my new ladder. :-)

LOTS to do here in the spring!

Sheryl - sherylgallant.blogspot.com - providence-acres.blogspot.com

"Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody."  - 1 Thes. 4:11

March 4, 2014
12:54 pm
Joelle
Superstar
Members
2865sp_Permalink sp_Print

happy-flowerhappy-flowerhappy-flower

Today I have been looking out at the snow and planning Spring. I have been wrting in a note book what I am going to do, the flowers I am going to plant, and planning our garden, I am  very excited about Spring this year after this very hard Winter that we have had. 

March 10, 2014
10:33 am
Joelle
Superstar
Members
2866sp_Permalink sp_Print

The temp will be near 60 degrees today and the grown has dried out a bit, I am heading out into the fenced yead to rake up and pick up the little branches that have broken off through the winter, I can’t wait to get ourside again, although I heard on the weather forcast this morning that we have a storm heading this way Wednesday but I am just going to ignore that and go outside and play. What did we do before we knew what the weather would be every minute? 

March 10, 2014
6:19 pm
mamajhk
South Central Kansas
Super Chicken
Members
Forum Posts: 984
2867sp_Permalink sp_Print

The temperature here is south central Kansas got into the high 60’s today.  I did a couple loads of bedding that I wanted to hang out.  After that I made a road trip for some genealogical research (didn’t find what I was looking for) and then stopped and visited with a cousin hoping that she could help (did a little) and picked up some groceries on the way home.  Tomorrow is supposed to be cooler.  So yes it was a great day to go out and play.

April 21, 2014
4:09 pm
Joelle
Superstar
Members
2868sp_Permalink sp_Print

What an I doing with my day? As little as possible! Every nice day we have had for the last couple of weeks with the exception of Easter Sunday, I have either worked in the yard, or worked on the deck, cleaning and restaining it, so today, since it is a beautiful day Miss Maggie and I are spending time sitting in the swing watcing the grass grow and listening to the birds sing.wink

April 21, 2014
4:31 pm
mamajhk
South Central Kansas
Super Chicken
Members
2869sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have been cleaning up and putting away stuff from yesterday.  

May 2, 2014
9:14 am
Squeegees Mom
South Texas
Mighty Chicken
Members
Forum Posts: 458
2870sp_Permalink sp_Print

I just picked the first cherry tomato! Even with our “Wicked Cold Winter” this year, I was able to get the seeds and plants out early! I love our winters in the SE part of TX.

May 2, 2014
11:57 am
mamajhk
South Central Kansas
Super Chicken
Members
2871sp_Permalink sp_Print

I had to take kids to school this morning.  Then went garage saleing just bought a fan (without a stand) for 25 cents and it works. Now I must get off here and get something done here at home.  

May 2, 2014
1:44 pm
denisestone
Banty
Members
Forum Posts: 6
2872sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have been thinking of Suzanne and the kids. When does Weston have to report for basic training? I’ve spent the last hour trying to search for the “major aftershock” post where she announced he was joining the army, but I can’t find the post. Does anyone remember, or have a link to the post? 

May 4, 2014
2:41 pm
brookdale
Eastern Maine
Super Chicken
Members
Forum Posts: 563
2873sp_Permalink sp_Print

I couldn’t find that post either; maybe out of respect for Weston’s privacy she took it off? That would be my guess.

This is such a hard time for Suzanne right now. We wish her and her children all the best and give her our love and sympathy in the loss of her beloved father.

Remember, if it rains on your picnic it's also raining on your garden!

May 11, 2014
10:58 am
brookdale
Eastern Maine
Super Chicken
Members
Forum Posts: 563
2874sp_Permalink sp_Print

Happy Mother’s Day to everyone!!!!! I hope you all have sunny skies and flowers in bloom.

Just picked a big bunch of daffodils to give to my daughter when she comes.

Remember, if it rains on your picnic it's also raining on your garden!

May 11, 2014
6:07 pm
Joelle
Superstar
Members
2875sp_Permalink sp_Print

Sitting on the porch watching thr grass grow—really, it had been so rainey here and warm, it is like living in the tropics,  and we have rain coming in every day for the next several days, had an inch of rain yesterday, The ground is to wet to mow—so we will just sit—and watch the grass grow.no

May 12, 2014
2:32 am
reneedarley
Jämtland
Big Chicken
Members
Forum Posts: 30
2876sp_Permalink sp_Print

Busy putting up fencing to move my sheep. The grass hasn’t really started to grow here yet. We had 6 inches of snow two days ago and it goes below freezing every night. There is no real spring-the weather just bursts from winter to summerhappy-flower

May 23, 2014
10:01 am
Joelle
Superstar
Members
2877sp_Permalink sp_Print

Today we are tilling our veggie garden. We have a friend that has a green house and she gave us our plants a couple of weeks ago, but the weather has been either to wet or to cold, we have had a few frosty mornings as well. I hope to do some planting in the flower garden, I pick out some of the sunflower seeds from the bird feed and plant them along the fence, they always do very well, why pay for packet seeds?

Just a wonderful day to work out in the yard—before we have to start the mowing again tomorrow.

May 24, 2014
1:41 am
reneedarley
Jämtland
Big Chicken
Members
2878sp_Permalink sp_Print

I was in town yesteday. That is 75 miles away so I am always exhausted when I get home.

Got food for the hens and sheep and a parasol for when the farmers markets start.Nothing like a good crop of sunflowers.sun2

May 31, 2014
9:40 am
Joelle
Superstar
Members
2879sp_Permalink sp_Print

We are spending the day working in the yard, all of the roses need to be cut back, we lost several of our flowering bushes due to the severe winter, so those will have to be removed and some bushes cut back. This was such a harsh winter, I hope we dont see another like it again. At least the weather is good to be outside for the next couple of days—-and then the rain returns for the next 4 days, I dont mind the rain, but it seem to bring a lot of wind etc with it, what ever happened to just a nice peaceful rainy day?

June 1, 2014
12:37 am
reneedarley
Jämtland
Big Chicken
Members
2880sp_Permalink sp_Print

There is such a lot of work in the garden in the Spring isn’t there. Sorry about the tough winter , it s is   so nice when it is over. We had a relatively mild winter with little more that 2 feet of snow but we are still getting night frosts so the grass is growing so slowly. I have 100 sheep and lambs so I am busy moving fences nearly every day to ensure they have enough to eatclover

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 377

Currently Online:
19 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Joelle: 2776

Leahld22: 2738

Ross: 2426

MaryB: 1783

JeannieB: 1500

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 15

Members: 24096

Moderators: 3

Admins: 4

Forum Stats:

Groups: 1

Forums: 14

Topics: 3499

Newest Members:

Alekainsenda, AniTix, VasylfKn, TylerSnurn, stefanie38s15, Anrizex

Moderators: Pete: 8497, wvhomecanner: 3159, Flatlander: 1643

Administrators: Suzanne McMinn: 7368, emiline220: 16, CindyP: 7942, BuckeyeGirl: 4921

Sections

1. The Farmhouse Blog
  2. The Chickens in the Road Forum
  3. Farm Bell Recipes

Latest Posts on the Farmhouse Blog:

Daily Farm

If you would like to help support the overhead costs of this website, you may donate. Thank you!

Forum Buzz

Site Info

Privacy Policy, Disclosure, Disclaimer, and Terms of Use

Contact