My daughter Morgan got this recipe from her dad. It took years for me to wrangle it out of her, but mostly I think she got tired of everyone begging her to make them so she finally broke down and shared! Her dad used jarred jalapenos and she switched it to fresh. You can use jarred whole jalapenos if you like, but I think the crunch of fresh jalapenos really makes the recipe.
We love this recipe with imitation crab, but it’s also great with cooked ground sausage or ground beef.
When preparing the fresh jalapenos, you can remove the seeds, or not, depending on how hot you want your poppers.
These can be made in advance all the way to breading then frozen in a single layer before transferring to a freezer ziploc bag. Fry straight from frozen.
Courtesy Morgan McMinn
Makes 12 poppersPrep Time: 20 | Cook Time: 20 minutes | Total Time: 40
- 12 large fresh jalapenos
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 8 ounces imitation flaked crab, diced
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper, optional
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 quart vegetable oil for frying
- Gut jalapenos by slicing down the middle. Don't cut all the way through, just one side, leaving stem top attached. Remove ribs. Leave seeds or remove, depending on heat level you prefer.
- Combine softened cream cheese, crab, and red pepper flakes in a medium mixing bowl.
- Using three small bowls, place bread crumbs in one bowl, flour in another, and milk and egg in yet another. Whisk milk and egg to combine.
- Heat 1 quart oil to 375 degrees in a deep fryer or 2 quart pot.
- Fill each jalapeno with cream cheese filling.
- Dip each stuffed jalapeno into the milk mixture then flour, then milk mixture then flour, then milk mixture then bread crumbs. The triple coating steps helps make a solid coating that sticks. Set aside on a plate until all are coated.
- Fry in batches without over crowding, 4 to 5 minutes until golden. Remove with a slotted spoon to a wire rack placed over paper towels.
Nutrition InfoCalories: 797 calories
Carbohydrates: 68.8 g
Fat: 46.2 g
Fiber: 5.2 g
Protein: 45.1 g
Sugar: 8.4 g
Sodium: 2503 mg
All values are Per Serving.
Add Your Thoughts